Need bullet suggestions for my 1st Alaskan Moose Hunt

A 150gr Barnes @ 2900 fps would work just fine, shouldn't have any problems with accuracy. They are outstanding in my 270 & 7 mag.

Getting the right seating depth and velocity will give you all the accuracy you should need for 200 yrds.
----------
Zod

The Barnes TSX line of bullets are excellent,
accuracy is considerably better than with the other X Bullets, at least in my guns.

I would suggest trying the Swift A-Frame's either in the 165 grn. or 180 grn. weights.
I've shot big bull moose with them from 75 yards out to 350 yards and can
honestly tell you they work just perfectly.
I've never had a bull wander more than a few steps, most just get knocked down were they stand, I'm sending the 180's @ 0ver 3400 fps
from the pipe and never had one fail.

p.s. The Swift A-Frames are also extremely accurate for a bonded dual core bullet, I have loads worked up for my 300 Win Mag, 300 RUM and the 7.82 (30 Cal.) Warbird that group under 1/2" @ 100 yards. Try them and I'll bet you will find a good shootin' load.

[ 07-10-2004: Message edited by: proman1 ]

[ 07-10-2004: Message edited by: proman1 ]

Big Al Morris, of Three Forks Ranch has guided folks to over 500 elk kills.

His advice on bullets: "Barnes, Partitions or Swift A-Frames."

Jeff,
Check out the Barnes XLC's. I've had great luck with them. Of course the "your mileage may vary" disclaimer is in place. Every stick seems to have its' own preferrence where bullet brands are concerned. I've seen two factory identicals like different ammo. The best thing you can do is try some and hunt with what you have the most confidence in..

I have killed one moose so I am not an experienced moose hunter. I shot it at about 200yds and used a 300Win mag handloaded with 200 gr. Nosler Partition bullets. First shot was broadside through the chest and it exited. He turned to go into the woods and I shot him in the butt - the bullet exited behind his right front shoulder. Before I went I considered that I may not have the best shot so I wanted something that would punch through at most any angle. Anyway the 308 is a great round but I would consider something bigger. My buddy used a 7mm with 160 gr Nosler Partitions - he shot a moose at 125yds - 3 times and none of the bullets exited. Just my 2 cents.

Hey Jeff,
If you still haven't made your decision take it from a Canadian who has shot more than a handful of moose, generally if you have a good guide you won't have to shoot past about 250-300 yards. Go with at least a 180 gr bullet, personally I like noslers accubond, but see what flies out of your gun. I can't agree more with the guy that said you never complain about having too much bullet. I've dropped moose with 140gr out of a 264win mag but I don't take it moose hunting any more if you know what I mean.

Off to the range latter this morning. I bought a box of Barnes 165 gr. XBT bullets the other day while shopping at Bass Pro shops. They didn't have the Winchester Fails safes I wanted to try, but I'm going to see what kind of acuracy I ring out of these and how they shoot.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.
wink.gif

168 Barnes Triple Shock, extrememly accurate, excellent penetration. A perfect combo for moose with .308

any of these premium bullets will work fine.the 168 tsx would be my pick for a 308.i've only killed a doz moose but only one was shot in the body.150 partition,hit high and back on the ribs.went a few yards and laid down.the rest were hit in the head,it's almost as big as a whitetail!

Hey no. 1 whitetail,
You're crazy...headshots on moose? Thats hilariuos, I love it
May just try that this year.
What does it look like after?
Nevermind I'll find out for myself.

No. 1 Whitetail,

To be honest with you, I head shoot just about all the animals I hunt. That will be my shot of choice if I can get the proper set up. I'm confident out to about 150 yards +/- for head shot on a moose, but it has to be the perfect set up.

If not, I'm going with the boiler room shot. I've got a load for the Barnes 165 gr X bullet that is shooting in the mid .4's in my rifle. I wanted to choose a bullet that accurate and would penetrate and perform well, if that was the only shot I could get.

Now, it's just time to practice until we leave for the hunt in Sept.

i shoot 4-8 deer a year and don't have any problem with head shots inside of 300 with my *** rifle.150 for a head shot moose is kind of an off-hand thing isn't it? don't shoot a moose in the shoulder,it's some really good tasting meat!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.