need suggestions plz.........

LDO

i startred a new lot of matchkings in my 6.5-284 and groups have gone to hell.i have measured the new seating depth several times to verify that im where i should be,i have tried different seating depths and the best i can get is about 1/2-3/4 moa with the rifle shooting two groups -say 2 in hole 3 in the other, nothing on the rifle has changed that i know of -everything is tight,and where it should be[i have checked it over several times].i have even tried working with the powder charges,the sd's are very low -under 10 for the charges,but the accuracy is just not there.basically im stumped this was 1/4 min. rifle with only 350 rds down the tubei shoot it nice and slow to let the barrel cool and im very careful when cleaning etc.....any and suggestions are appreciated-tia-dave

Hapened to some one I know, but a freek problem most likely. Have you scaled the bullets to make sure they weigh what they are soposed to? If a production machine, or a guy new on the job, are not calibrated right? Just a thought. Jeff

6BRguy, my suggestions, if everything in the rifle and load are good, are change scopes try another lot of bullets. Assuming same lot of powder and primers.

Change any component or lot and you start over again. That may require a work up of that load to fine the sweet spot.

Scopes do go bad, so change to one that you know is working.

Jerry

With the MKs, it is not weight that will kill you but bearing surface length variations. Now you might run into variations on weight too. You need a dial caliper and a stoney point ogive checker tool. Put the tool on the blade and then measure your bullets from the bullet base with the nose sitting in the ogive checker on the other blade. Bet you will see large variation (.005-.020) in length.

With Sierras you need to record that bearing surface length and make sure you continue to seat bullets based on that lenght in relationship to the lands not OAL.

Sierra used to run its MKs on different machines and then drop the bullets on conveyer to all be dropped in the same box. Wild variations that way. Supposedly last year they started running each machine into separate boxes to stop that.

BH

BH,
Sierra has been putting bullets from one machine into one lot for a long time. Change jackets, new lot. Change roll of lead, new lot. Change anything, new lot. I worked there about three years ago and that's how we did it.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.