Need Something Between 6mm and 270

hoghound

I have a 25-06 built on a Win. model 70 pre64 reciever with a 26" Douglas barrel that just shoots lights out bottom line. My partner Mikie/Tx will testify to that also.

Problem is, is that when the smith was reaming out for the chamber, the reamer broke and gouged the sidewall to where when a round is fired it leaves a bulge on the case down where it head spaces. I can't full length size the cases down past the bulge without setting the shoulder back and quite frankly this has had a sour taste in my mouth since he finished it. I told him I know S..t happens, why dont't you go in half, or knock half the cost off the job and lets get another pipe. Well he wouldn't budge and said it's still in SAMI specs. Like I said, that dam thing shoots, but it's not right and I'm not happy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Anyhow, enough bout my bad luck. What I was wanting some feed back from yall ss I would like a 25 caliber round, but still use my standard 06 bolt face. Like say: 25-06ai,25-284. Which would give the best overall performance with bullets from 100-125.

Tim

Well, I wouldn't want this to be an easy decision so I will just mention that Richard Graves makes some very pretty 130 grain and 142 grain RBBT bullets. Just think about one of those flying through the air at about 3100 fps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I wonder how much powder it would take to get one going that fast. I bet about 55 grains of RL-22 would do it in a 28 inch barrel.

Hmmmmm, lets see what twist will we need?

I would go with the 25-284. That is if you can find a smith that is willing to ream the existing chamber. Lots of them don't like doing it. I think this way is the only way to go so that you don't lose to much barrel length.

Ask him to show you the SAAMI spec sheet in the "book"... I have all the SAAMI references, and there are NO chambers that spec with a bulge in them

Take him to small claims court - cost you about $30 and you will get all your money back.

Wouldn't hurt to post his name around the web either, so others don't get stuck like that.

Tim Tx, I suggest go with the 25/06AI as it has about 5 grains more capacity than the 25/284. This would be an advantage if you want to shoot the heavier bullets.

My 25/06AI with a 24 inch 10 twist barrel produces 3,580 fps with the 100 grain Nosler BT, 3275 fps with 115 Nosler BT, 3,225 fps with Wildcat 125 grain ULD, 3,150 fps with Wildcat 130 grain FBBCHP, 3,050 fps with Wildcat 142 ULD, and 2,830 fps with Wildcat 156 grain ULD.

My 10 twist barrel stabilises and shoots accurately the 125 and 130 grain Wildcats, but as anticipated the 142 and 156 grain bullets keyholed into the target.

My 7 twist barrel in 257Weatherby, stabilises and shoots the 156 grain bullet accurately.

Hope the above helps. Brian.

Brian, how do the 125's and the 130's do at 500yds in the 10 twist. Are they keyholin at that range.

Tim

Your smith knew there was a gouge in the chamber and sent it home with you???? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I would say he should fix it for nothing, better yet, he should have told you the problem after he set the barrel back and inch and fixed it already.

I would go with the 25-06 AI personally. It will feed better in the controled round feed receiver compared to the 25-284 which is also a great round. Only reason I would go with the 06 AI would be for feeding characteristics and slightly more performance.

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
..... Well he wouldn't budge and said it's still in SAMI specs.

[/ QUOTE ]

..stand up guy there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif...

why havnt you taken him to court? is he a friend or something?...

[ QUOTE ]
Brian, how do the 125's and the 130's do at 500yds in the 10 twist. Are they keyholin at that range.

Tim

[/ QUOTE ]

by Brain Winzor
My 10 twist barrel stabilises and shoots accurately the 125 and 130 grain Wildcats, but as anticipated the 142 and 156 grain bullets keyholed into the target.

As for the fellow who built that rifle for Tim, he was a, well I ain't going there. Besides I did run over his mailbox as I left the last time I was there.

He called me a flat out liar on the load I had been shooting and still shoot in my daughters 25-06. Said it was WAY overloaded, and hell it was listed in a manual for 117gr bullets.

UGGhhh not going there......

To his credit, he has built some fine rifles, but I wouldn't ever step foot back there again if he was the last smith in Tx. Hell I would rather do with out, or whittle it down myself.

Tim Tx, I haven't tried the 125 & 130 grain Wildcats at 500 yard target.

The two three shot groups I fired at 400 yards with the 125 grain ULD, produced round holes, and groups of 2.4 and 1.7 inches (ctc). I did down a feral goat at just under 500 yards, but didn't have time to check the wound channel, so I can't definitively say it didn't keyhole, but would say it is unlikely.

Next time I rebarrel the 25/06AI I would choose an 8 twist barrel to handle up to the 142 grain ULD. Brian.

Tim, take that guy to court!!!!! What's his name so others don't get screwed. He knew he made a mistake, and he hoped you would not find the problem. Get a new barrel and send it to Kirby Allen.

Jake

[ QUOTE ]
Tim, take that guy to court!!!!! What's his name so others don't get screwed. He knew he made a mistake, and he hoped you would not find the problem. Get a new barrel and send it to Kirby Allen.

Jake

[/ QUOTE ]
Wildcat,
I just noticed that I did not need my Inspector Gadget glasses to de-code your post's. you must have recieved an early present from up at the North Pole in the way of a new key board??? nice up-grade and glad to have you back.
UB

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.