input on 6mm something or other coyote rig build

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Lyons7STW, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Lyons7STW

Lyons7STW Well-Known Member

I am contemplating starting a new build. For those that don't know me I am a pretty avid coyote hunter and do a good bit of mid range hunting (as in 400 to 700 yards).

I am a big 7 STW fan, I like semi custom rigs and enjoy handloading... to a point. I have long used a light weight 22-250 to great success on coyotes but have decided that I am tired of the 22s being finicky to load for compared to my .284s and .30 cals. It also seems that every time I pick up my coyote rig lately the wind starts blowing. I believe that speed kills and flat shooting is a bonus on predators, they are less likely to stand around while you set up in my opinion and flat trajectories decrease my margin of error on range/ eleveation estimates.

I think I am going to base this build on the 87 and 88 grain Bergers or V max's in .243/6mm. so prolly a 1 in 10 twist. A little better BC than the light 22s, Not too heavy in a .24 call that I can't push the FPS back up there and I suspect a little less finicky on the handloading.

It will be a Rem. 700 action, It will carry a Timney trigger and be fitted in a Bell and Carlson medalist alumium bedded stock. (this combo has worked for me in the past and I am comfortable with it) ..familiarity with a system seems to reduce fumbles under stress and a coyote running in or suddely appearing out of the blue still gives me the adrenaline dump I crave.

I believe I will want to stay with a 24" or under barrel of medium sporter to light varmint contour, which of the .24s do yall prefer for this kind of work? I like the 6-06 concept but suspect anything under a 26" bbl is cheating the round, the 6 AI looks promising and I know nothing of the 6x284.

Bonuses I see to the 6-06 is the ease of which I can acquire 270 win and 25-06 brass to neck down. I think I would rather neck down than blow out the shoulder on a case, this is not set in stone though.

Any of yall have any similar builds and load set ups? what kind of FPS / Trajectory are ya gettin and such.

2. timmyatnop

timmyatnop Well-Known Member

The best advice i can give u is to call kevin cram at mcr.. and talk to him about the 6 mm cm. He built me one and the accuracy with the 115 bergers at 3150 fps is outstanding.

3. Warbird782

Warbird782 Well-Known Member

Try a 243 AI. When I was looking for a LR varmint gun my smith suggested it. It has worked well for me with 105 Bergers.

4. CPGfan

CPGfan Well-Known Member

Barrel life and very accurate I would build a 6x47 lapua. It will do everything a 243 will do but with way more barrel life.

5. Lyons7STW

Warbird, have you used the 105's on game to any extent and what did ya think?

6. Lyons7STW

CPG I really prefer to exceed 243 Win performance and barrel life for me is not a top issue as I am no longer shooting hundreds of rounds a year per rifle and I have rigs more suited to bench work. I rarely shoot strings more than 3 out of my hunting rigs.

I mean I don't want to get ignorant with it so as long as projected barrel life is 1200 plus I'm not going to write off the idea.

7. Warbird782

Warbird782 Well-Known Member

Lyons, I have used the 6mm 105's on 2 pronghorn and a fair number of mule deer. The goats were shot at 402 yards and 337 yards. Both were one shot kills. The chest cavities were a mess. The mule deer were taken between 25 yards and 300. I have also shot some 500+ yard prairie dogs with it. Overall I have been really impressed with the 243 AI and 105 Bergers.

8. Lyons7STW

Thanks for the responses, I will delve ito the 6x47 lapua further and see if it will accomplish my ballistic goals.

I am yearning for a BC near .400 and a velocity as close to 4000 as I can get that will allow zero at 200 and less 5" or less drop at 300( yes I know 4000 is high the trajectory is the more important factor

9. toddc

toddc Well-Known Member

So what youre saying is you want a 6-284.
    You will be happier wih it than a 6-06. SA for starters, better design/effeciency,easier to make brass,better brass (its the LR 6PPC),built on an LA it has stupid mag room,longer barrel life(Barely) and less recoil(slight).
    It will drive a 6mm bullet as fast as is logical. Any more and its time to order the 2nd barrel when you get the 1st. Mine runs a 115 at 3300 and is a trainwreck for a deer. Always used that for yotes also but an 80gr ought hit 37-3800 m/l. I would say you need a longer barrel for any hot 6. Mine is 28" and handy enough. This round needs some time though to burn that much powder in a .244 hole. Any fast 6 needs a little extra barrel length or your just burning powder for fun and recoil.
    Ive researched this area also and decided for a yote load with a 6-284 I would drive an 87 gr berger about 3700 with a .412bc.
    Everyone loves my 6 even the guys who bitched when I built it. Its hard to find anything that wont plasma cut a throat in 100rds that will shoot much flatter. This isnt a fur gun is it? If it is discount everything I said this thing will splatter a yote bad.

10. Edd

Edd Well-Known Member

11. huntinfool18

huntinfool18 Well-Known Member

I use a 243 ackley also. I shoot the 105 amax at 3245 with quarter moa accuracy. I have used on everything from sod poddles to elk. All one shot drop kills.

12. Trickymissfit

Trickymissfit Well-Known Member

look no further than a 6mm Ackley in an eight twist barrel that's 26" long. Nice thing about it is that you can still shoot factory ammo thru it.
    gary

13. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Well-Known Member

I'm kind of a 6mm freak to begin with so this question may be right up my alley :cool:

I started with a standard 243win, got bored with that & rechambered to 243AI. I shot that round 'tl the bbl gave up the ghost & was really happy with it. I can't take anything from the 243AI.

I rebarreled that rifle to 6mmAI which is IMHO, a step up in pretty much every category from the 243AI. I'm still shooting that particular rifle/chamber with 85grn bullets. the 6mmAI should get you 3600 or better with 87grainers in a 26"bbl & acceptable chamber pressures.

My favorite 6mm hands down is the 6-284. I built mine on a 700 long action, McM A-5 stock & 28" Kreiger Barrel. I'm running the tried & true 107SMK with Ramshot Magnum at over 3400fps with room to spare. The 6-284 offers some a advantages (noted above I think). The first is LAPUA brass which I think, speaks for itself. The second is '06 powder capacity in a shorter OAL than the '06, you will have more room to fiddle with seating depth & chase lands. Forming cases is so easy "A caveman can do it":D, simply neck down Lapua 6.5-284 brass & voila! You have new 6-284 brass.

Second choice is 6mmAI hands down. Longer neck, very close velocity wise, pretty easy to form cases & VERY accurate.

t

14. barnesuser28

barnesuser28 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] That about sums it up ^