Need some help please

Terrytf

I just receved a new .243 . I would like to put a scope on it like the Huskemaw. I like this scope because the turret is in yards and not moa . For a beginner like me it will be easy to use ( I hope ) . Is there any other scope out that the turret is in yards that is cheaper for a first timer or do I need to just suck it up and spend the money ? I know on a .243 700 yards is about it . but I have to start some where for long shots and I dont want to start out with the 7 . if I cant get it on papper with the .243 at 600 why try with a bigger gun ( just my thinking ) any help on this would be greatly aspirated

Thank you
Terry

I think guys have had very good luck with Shepherd Scopes: THE ONLY RANGE FINDING SCOPE THAT DOES NOT REQUIRE 3 HANDS TO OPERATE ( There is a link with the all caps sentence )

I think the Shepherd is really easy to work with once you get it zeroed...or dialed in. You'd probably save a few bucks as well...not knocking Huskemaw. I'm sure they're an amazing scope and probably a great value...but if you're just starting off....you might want to ease into things. BTW, I've never seen either the Shepherd or the Huskemaw. I own or have owned many of the brands out there...too many to list...from the low end of a Tasco at one time to NightForce, IOR and Premier Heritage now.

The other alternative is for you to study about m.o.a ( Minute of Angle ) and mil-radian. Once you get a handle on these two....get a decent ballistics program...your world opens up tremendously. I recently purchased a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x By 50mm scope from a sponsor / vendor here, Cameraland...for $249. I've also purchased a couple Sightron SIII scopes..new for slightly over $700 a piece. What I'm driving at....you don't necessarily need fancy reticles for you to make shots at long ranges. You can get a lot of "Bang for your buck" if you are flexible...say being able to work with m.o.a scopes.

Good Luck! It's always nice to hear of more folks picking up our sport....and making sure our heritage stays alive.

Wayne

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply Wayne . I have looked at the Shepherd Scopes with [FONT=tahoma,arial,verdana]range finding circles but they are like my Nikons with bdc I have 2 one on my .223 and one on my .270 and love them but would like to go farther now. and I have thought I need to just get a moa scope but 20 or so years ago I did not get the full under standing of it and was a short rang shot , but my dive buddy was a long shot and dam there is a nitch to it . I just think for me a turret in yard is the best way to start..
[/FONT]

Well...from the looks of it.....the Shepherd looks like there is a series of smaller circles going down the reticle ( But they claim their circles can get you out to 1000 yards...without dialing any elevation)....like you describe the Nikon BDC reticle only with more options for longer range. I think that would be easiest for you...over actually dialing in your dope ( Clicks ). Having said that....there is an outstanding company that makes custom turrets calibrated for bullet drop. But I would caution you on that. The turret knobs will be calibrated for a certain bullet and load. If you ever change your favorite recipe...then all bets are off.

Here's the link: http://www.kentonindustries.com/ ( Reading further..Kenton says their knobs are calibrated in yards...so you could get a popular brand scope with any reticle and replace the elevation turret)

I know what you're looking for. I have a buddy who owns an older Tasco...a really decent one that was made with Japanese glass. His has an elevation turret numbered in yards. I have never seen anything like it.

Good Luck....You'll find something that works for you.

Wayne

Last edited:
Terry,

Have you looked at the Zeiss Conquest line with the Rapid Z reticle? I don't know how they compare price wise to the Huskemaw, but they make one that goes to 1000 yds.

Chris

Thanks Wayne . Looked last nite for some time and no luck looked at Zeiss last nite could not find if they offer one in a yardage turret .. going out this weekend to try some loads for the .243 and mess around with on of my Nikon's with bdc and see what I can do

WOW!!!! there is a lot of stuff to read about scopes here on this site ..WOW!!!

My hunting buddy has had a Shepherd scope for quite a while. After he saw and used my new Vortex Viper PST FFP MOA scope with the custom turret from Vortex he put in an order for one. He will have to wait for a month or two before they start delivering them again.

Look here and scroll down to the other posts I made. Less money then the Husky too.

Drop chart. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph

Last edited:
I would look at the Vortex line of optic for BDC knobs, I've tinkered with a Huskemaw a little this season that a co worker has and I'm thinking the Vortex is a better way to go for the money. You can get custom BDC knobs set up for the Viper, Viper PST, and Razor.

I was just over cheeking it out thank you I will look more when I get home ..the price seems good and fair not bad at all

thank you

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.