Need some coating eduction.

ofdscooby

I picked up a used Defiance action recently and it looks like it had been bead blasted. I don't think it's as smooth as a polished one right now. Defiance said they could re-polish it for me. Or I could send it out for a melonite coating.

Thoughts?

I got it with a mag bolt and I'm sending it in to get a standard. Goal is to have a nice switch barrel set up eventually.

I picked up a used Defiance action recently and it looks like it had been bead blasted. I don't think it's as smooth as a polished one right now.

Are you saying the exterior is not as smooth or the bolt throw?

The exterior obviously won't be as smooth but maybe during the bead blasting the interior surfaces weren't protected from the bead blasting process making it rougher, less smooth.

:(

The exterior obviously won't be as smooth but maybe during the bead blasting the interior surfaces weren't protected from the bead blasting process making it rougher, less smooth.

Both

I picked up a used Defiance action recently and it looks like it had been bead blasted. I don't think it's as smooth as a polished one right now. Defiance said they could re-polish it for me. Or I could send it out for a melonite coating.

Thoughts?

I got it with a mag bolt and I'm sending it in to get a standard. Goal is to have a nice switch barrel set up eventually.
I've been debating on a coating or bead blast for my defiance build. Would you mind posting a photo?

I picked up a used Defiance action recently and it looks like it had been bead blasted.

Discuss this with the previous owner. It appears that whoever did the bead blasting, did not protect the inside of the action bolt raceway. But if he (she) had intentions of Cerakoting the entire action then those polished surfaces need to be bead blasted. This leaves a rougher surface than the original polished surfaces as it comes from Defiance.

Both