Need some opinions

ofdscooby

I have all my components and am ready to turn them over to my smith but I need to decide on how this thing will be throated. I live in CA and have to take into consideration the unleaded thing. My last 7 mag I made up two dummy rounds that gave me the same length to the lands one with a 160 Accubond and one with a 150 E-tip they both performed well but the E-tip seemed to get squirly at about 700 yards. I'd like to do the same thing but with something other than the E-tip . What would you guys suggest I keep hearing I need to go with something with rings on it. My smith wants me to just look at VLD's but that's just not an option with trying to go with two bullets. Build components are stiller predator in LH , Bartlin 2b that will be 26in, McMillan stock, Jewell trigger, PTG BDL metal,and a Wyats box.

The Berger hunting VLD works great for hunting. It is a real accurate bullet and holds a lot of records in F-class and 1000 yard BR. I know of no longrange target shooter that uses the bullets you have mentioned. If you need an all copper bullet for California I would look into the Barnes offerings. I would pick the heaviest and highest BC bullet and try. The lead bullet like the VLD with its sectional density and high BC is a lot better for longrange. The 168 and 180 Hunting VLD both work good in a 7Mag. Matt

ofdscooby,

You need to take a look at the Cutting Edge bullets for solid copper required by California:

Cutting Edge Bullets

Another would be GS Custom USA:

GS CUSTOM USA - More Accurate, More Consistent, Most Reliable

I've used both of these solid bullets for hunting and long range target from both suppliers and I've had excellent results after following their suggested load development. Both makers are easy to talk to for additional information regarding their products.

Regards.

Those bullets are nice but not too cheap

Does anyone have any expierence with the Hornady GMX or Barnes LRX I've done a tone of searching for info on them and mostly found stuff about how they perform on game around 1-300 yards I want to see how the group and perform past that

Those bullets are nice but not too cheap

Does anyone have any experience with the Hornady GMX or Barnes LRX I've done a tone of searching for info on them and mostly found stuff about how they perform on game around 1-300 yards I want to see how the group and perform past that

I'm also in California ....
This year I ended up in a no lead zone ... ugh.
It took some time but I did finally find a Barnes LRX that worked; kinda.
The 168 grain bullet wouldn't stabilize at all. Keyhole prints on target at 100 yards no matter what I tried. I finally got fair results with the 145 grain and ended up using those. It was a successful hunt but I gave away all the Barnes bullets I had remaining. Haven't tried anything solid copper since then.
Perhaps I'll try the Hornady G MX next year ... or just go back to hunting out of state.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.