Need reloading help Sav mod11 7mm08

longbowelk

I just bought a new Savage Mod 11 7mm08. I was working on my first reload for this gun. I have reloaded for years various calibers. I have a Rem Mod 7 in 7mm08. In reviewing of the latest Hornady book and Sierra and comparing my old reloads I did for the Rem Mod 7, I sized and trimmed the cases to 2.025 . The books state overall length of cartridge is max of 2.8. My old loads were 2.78 which is what Sierra & Hornady states. I am Loading a 139 gr Hornady bullet. In setting up the bullet seater, the first one came in at 2.760 so I lengthened it and got 2.769 and then 2.770.
Before loading a bunch I decided to make sure they would chamber. Here is what I got. 2.760 did fine, 2.769 was a tight fit, 2.770 would not chamber(bolt would not close). I took all three loads to the Rem Mod 7. Each one chambered with no problem. I hate to write a book but why is it the Savage won't work? Do I need to drop to the 2.76 or 2.75? I ran some cleaning patches through beforehand . Thanks for any help.

Before you load for a new rifle or a new bullet in an old rifle you need to know how far out of the case the bullet can stick before it hits the lands. The easiest way to figure this out is to take a dinged up case or one of the cases on the extreme limits of a weight sorted batch of cases. Neck the case to accept a bullet but don't put a primer in the case. Split the case neck with a hacksaw. Fill off the rough edges inside and out. Insert your bullet in the case so it is a little bit further out than would ever fit in the chamber then put it in the chamber and close the bolt. The bullet will hit the lands and get pushed back into the case. Remove the round and measure its length. This length is the maximum length you could use in that rifle with that bullet. Try this measurement several times to make sure you are getting a consistent result. If the bullet sticks in the rifling you can neck size the case again to tighten it up a bit. If you need it looser, bend it a wee bit. You want it so you can move the bullet in andout with your fingers but not too easily.

Once you have this measurement you can set your bullets so they are a known distance from the lands. Some bullets manufacturers like Barnes recommend you set the bullet 0.050"off the lands and others like Bergers may like to be right up on the lands. This is one of the variables that you change to make your ammo shoot better in your rifle. The only reason not to load bullets where your rifle likes it best is if that length of cartridge won't fit in the magazine. At that point you will have to choose betweenm ost accurate or magazine fit. I go for most accurate because if your rifle is shooting like it should you will only need one shot.

You can also use this dummy round to setup yourseating die by setting the bullet to the correct length (actually a few thousands longer), put it in your press with the ram in the up position, then carefully screw in the seating die. When you first feel resistance, that is where you set the seating die with the lockring. It will be a little long but you can fine tune from there.

The previous post is a good example of how to check lengths for your particular gun and bullet, but I think he excluded one sentence that checks case length.

After you split your neck, file off edges smooth, and seat your bullet, make sure the extra piece of the case neck sits forward on the bullet. If the case length is 2.025, make sure it sits about .050 longer, say 2.075. When you chamber the cartridge, the extra piece of the neck should move back. Do this a few times to get a good reading. This is your max case length for that rifle. (Hopefully I explained it right)
I found out that my case length was .030 over what SAAMI lists.

By doing both checks, hopefully you can see if one of those is your issue.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.