Need pros advice for short heavy deer and target rifle build

rangerdanger

Im interested in building a short heavy barrel deer and target rifle. Shooting 100 yards or less. I want it to be accurate and not heat up too fast. Im thinking about going with a defiance hunter medium action, heavy tang, recessed nose, ball handle and deep flutes. I want the 16 inch barrel to be straight and heavy as possible for short range accuracy and heat reduction at shooting range. It will probably be a bartlien #9 or their straight custom taper. I want it to be straight as possible off the action but im not sure what barrel taper that would be for the defiance hunter action. Id appreciate any input from anyone that has experience with short heavy rifle builds. Caliber is also questionable. From what i understand, 308 win is going to be the best choice for a 16 inch heavy barrel. Ill probably go with a timney flat trigger and manner T3 for BLD bottom metal. Ill be reloading lapua brass and berger vld hunt bullets in redding standard FL and competiton seater dies.

I have a 16 1/2 inch 6.5x47 for the same purpose. I shoot the 130 gr jlk with half inch accuracy at 100. Previous owner shot 123 lunar out of it. It is a joy to shoot and lug around.

Sounds like what you want is a benchrest rifle. It does not get any better than a 6mm PPC.

Id like to select a caliber that Lapua make brass for and Id like to be able to shoot without heating up the barrel too fast.

Id like to select a caliber that Lapua make brass for and Id like to be able to shoot without heating up the barrel too fast.

Probably one of the best deer and target rifles I know of is the 7/08 Rem. I like the 20" hunter bench rest taper that Lilja makes. Look the barrel taper up and get the Size of it to compare with your preferred taper (A heavy fast taper that is perfect for running targets also)

The 7/08 doesn't have much recoil, is deadly on deer 600+yards, and has won many long range matches including 1000 yard and also many bench rest matches. My rifle has shot groups as small as .053 5shot and will consistently shoot les than .100 groups (1/10th MOA)

I also like the 7/08x40 for better brass life and the largest bullets.

Lapua also makes fine brass for the 7/08 that is very reasonable.

Lapua Reloading Brass 7mm-08 Remington Box of 100

J E CUSTOM

Okay so is the 7mm-08 close as im going to get to 6ppc 100 accuracy but will cycle well thru a custom action (defiance/surgeon) and BDL style bottom metal?

Okay so is the 7mm-08 close as im going to get to 6ppc 100 accuracy but will cycle well thru a custom action (defiance/surgeon) and BDL style bottom metal?

At one time the 7/08 was second only to the 6ppc and was a favorite of many bench rest shooters.

I know the 6PPC will kill deer but not as good as the 7/08 in my opinion.

They will fit any 308 length action and require no extended mags. they actually feed better than a 308 because of the longer shoulder.

Short fat cartridges are best loaded one at a time because they can be troublesome and normally need to be used in a center feed mag box. All of the short mags have the same problem.

J E CUSTOM

Re: Most accurate, smoothest cycling, short, deer cartridge

I'll check out the 7mm-08 as it sounds like exactly what I need. I wasn't even considering it until you mentioned it because i don't see it as a common offering on many of the custom hunting or target rifle builders web sites. I usually see the 6.5 lapua or creed or other short 6's or 6.5's. I'll also check out the barrel you talked about but I'd like to take it down to 16 inches unless not recommended for the 7-08.

I'd also like to know more about appropriate caliber selection for a straight 16 inch barrel on bolt guns. Some say I should choose 30 or better. That's why I was leaning toward the 308 for cycling, accuracy, and performance.

I know it goes against everything this forum stands for with high-BC bullets and long range capability, but if your range is 100 yards, why not the .358 Winchester using the .308 Lapua brass you would like? The .308 isn't horrible in that short of a barrel, but I would think the larger bore of the .358 might be a little more efficient with your specifications. Depending where you are hunting, your deer may be bigger than my home State's East Texas poodle-sized whitetails. I see some of the pros have already weighed in, so I'm just throwing the unique suggestion out from an amateur, but I don't think you could go wrong with it. Look forward to seeing what you end up with. You can't go wrong with the 7mm-08 previously suggested, either.

If your range is only 100yds and you want to keep your barrel as short as legally possible then for efficiency purpose use something with a larger bore. The 358 mentioned above would be a great short range gun. 308 will be a little more efficient than 7-08 not that a 7-08 would be a bad round. You're going to be throwing some awesome fireballs out of the end of that thing! gun)

Im interested in building a short heavy barrel deer and target rifle. Shooting 100 yards or less. I want it to be accurate and not heat up too fast. Im thinking about going with a defiance hunter medium action, heavy tang, recessed nose, ball handle and deep flutes. I want the 16 inch barrel to be straight and heavy as possible for short range accuracy and heat reduction at shooting range. It will probably be a bartlien #9 or their straight custom taper. I want it to be straight as possible off the action but im not sure what barrel taper that would be for the defiance hunter action. Id appreciate any input from anyone that has experience with short heavy rifle builds. Caliber is also questionable. From what i understand, 308 win is going to be the best choice for a 16 inch heavy barrel. Ill probably go with a timney flat trigger and manner T3 for BLD bottom metal. Ill be reloading lapua brass and berger vld hunt bullets in redding standard FL and competiton seater dies.

.300 BLK if 100 yards is all you're shooting.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...ion+Centerfire/Remington+700+TACT+300+BLK+OUT

I'll check out the 7mm-08 as it sounds like exactly what I need. I wasn't even considering it until you mentioned it because i don't see it as a common offering on many of the custom hunting or target rifle builders web sites. I usually see the 6.5 lapua or creed or other short 6's or 6.5's. I'll also check out the barrel you talked about but I'd like to take it down to 16 inches unless not recommended for the 7-08.

I'd also like to know more about appropriate caliber selection for a straight 16 inch barrel on bolt guns. Some say I should choose 30 or better. That's why I was leaning toward the 308 for cycling, accuracy, and performance.

I also own a specialty pistol in 7/08 that is one of the most accurate weapons I own and it has a 16.2" barrel. I have taken deer beyond 500 yards with it using 150 grain Ballistic tips and they were DRT.

The first 7/08 I owned was a Model 7 Remington with a 18.5" barrel that never let me down. I can't count the number of deer, hogs and other game it has taken without a single loss.

I prefer a 20" barrel to get the most from the 7/08 and a 22" barrel for the 7/08x40.

Like the 308, the 7/08 performs well in short barrels.

J E CUSTOM

I also own a specialty pistol in 7/08 that is one of the most accurate weapons I own and it has a 16.2" barrel. I have taken deer beyond 500 yards with it using 150 grain Ballistic tips and they were DRT.

The first 7/08 I owned was a Model 7 Remington with a 18.5" barrel that never let me down. I can't count the number of deer, hogs and other game it has taken without a single loss.

I prefer a 20" barrel to get the most from the 7/08 and a 22" barrel for the 7/08x40.

Like the 308, the 7/08 performs well in short barrels.

J E CUSTOM

mind me asking by 7/08x40 is that an 7mm/08 Ackley improved??? IF so mind sharing some info on who does the reaming?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts