Needing advice on first rifle build!!!!

Takni

I am getting ready for my first build and I am needing some guidance

I will be building the rifle in 27 cal and I am not interested in going to another caliber. The 270 wsm is my first choice but the 270 sherman shortmag looks interesting and I have always been interested in wildcats. Since I do enjoy the road less traveled but I cant find much information on the 270 sherman shortmag and I understand at this point my knowledge is limitied. Long time reloader and I don't care about availability of store bought en ammo

The action I will be using is a savage 16 and will be ordering a master peace arms chassis. Benchmark barrel with 5R rifling 26 in and a 1:8 twist with a thunderbeast ultra 9 suppressor. The suppressor will really only be used for target shooting due to length. Regretfully benchmark is 5-6 months out so I guess it gives me time to do some research.

The things I am needing some advice on are things like match chamber versus standard chamber. I know on match chambers you need to turn necks which is fine since I do that already. My local gunsmith is not a fan of match chambers for some reason but listenting to him it sounds more like its because he doesn't have the reamer and doesn't want to order one since their isn't anybody in his customer based area who cares for them. Is it worth me just ordering a reamer and getting the chamber i want or is the gain in accuracy really minimal compared to the amount of work/cost of purchasing a reamer.

Second, thing is throat length. I am looking for as much velocity as possible not sacrificing accuracy of course. But this is a hunting rifle as well and they need to fit in the magazine. What length of throat would give me the best of both worlds Magazine fit and velocity. Bullets will be matrix 165 and berger 170's

And I do understand that wildcat dies will be more expensive but either route I go I will probably get custom dies.

This will be a long range rifle for hunting and target shooting.

You can order a match reamer with whatever neck and throat you want. I would order the neck .003" to .004" over a loaded round for a hunting gun. For the throat I'd send in a dummy round with the bullet seated how you want it. That way you get exactly what you want. If you end up waiting that long on the barrel I'd order a Manson reamer. JGS is good too but I'd pick a Manson first if you were going to be waiting 5-6 months on the barrel. JGS's lead times run about 6 weeks where as Manson's typically run 8-16 weeks.

Third Generation Shooting Supply generally has Benchmark barrels in stock.

JGS gave me a Weatherby reamer when I asked for a wildcat reamer. I asked why they didn't give me what I asked for. They told me it was really close to what I asked for. The last few reamers for me have come from Manson Precision Reamers. Never a problem . And Dave has even helped me decide on final dimensions and a name one time.

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like Manson's is the place I'll go for a reamer. I checked third generation shooting supply but all they have is 1:9 and I need the 1:8 for the optimal B.C. I am thinking of starting the freebore at .050 so I can chase it as the throat erodes.

I would have a chat with Rich Sherman aka elkaholic on here about the 270 sherman shortmag if you have not allready..... Im sure he can answer a lot of your questions.... Great guy and helped me a lot when i built my 6.5 ss.... he may even hsve a reamer for rent also.....
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.