Advice on a rifle build

Scrumbag

Hello folks,

Finally getting round to building my "beanfield" rifle. (Will also use for target shooting at Bisley)

Will be a Mausingfield Action

20 MOA Rail

Bartlein 1/8.25" twist, 13 Profile, 26" Length

Threaded for a moderator

Not decided on trigger yet. Probably a Jewel

Wondering which stock to go for – Will be a McMillan I think

Would appreciate thoughts on

Game Warden, Game Scout or Tactical Hunter are my thoughts.

Best wishes,

Scrummy

Hello folks,

Finally getting round to building my "beanfield" rifle. (Will also use for target shooting at Bisley)

Will be a Mausingfield Action

20 MOA Rail

Bartlein 1/8.25" twist, 13 Profile, 26" Length

Threaded for a moderator

Not decided on trigger yet. Probably a Jewel

Wondering which stock to go for – Will be a McMillan I think

Would appreciate thoughts on

Game Warden, Game Scout or Tactical Hunter are my thoughts.

Best wishes,

Scrummy

Hey Scrummy I've built quite a few WILDCATS over the years; my favorite "Bean Field" LG for out to 500 yards is my .17 VLR. Shoots a .37 gr Berger VLD Molly seated deep into the lands, 22 grs. of Vihtavorhi N135 off of .223 Lapaua brass down a 26 inch Douglas Stainless 3/4 inch straight barrel with a 6 twist produces the fastest, flatest shooting LAZER BEAM and even leaves a very nice and thick white vapor trail straight to the Dead Hogs Head! Installed a Jewell trigger on a Remington 700 Stainless Action which my Gunsmith Trued and Chambered (actually he built the rifle). Laid it on top a McMillen Flame Colored Thumb-hole 3 inch Stock with the high cheek piece. Mounted a new Leoupold 6.5 x 20 50mm with a 30mm tube on top! I'm NOT even gonna say the Velocity I get outta her because no one will believe me; but I was EXPLODING the BERGERS at 70 yards during the load work up. TRUST ME the Groundhogs FEAR this Rifle! I whack DIMES all day long at 300 yards and have shot .143 groups in 5 shot strings at 100 yards. No Recoil, and I see the ENTIRE SHOW in the SCOPE! Doesn't get much Sweeter than that! I named her "PAINLESS"!
Ted Smith Jr
.17 VLR1.JPG

Last edited:
Nice rig sir! I'm going for a 7x64 which will do deer from a high seat (what we call the treestand) and some targets (nice and slippery 7mm pills)

I really like the Game Scout, they fit me well. You just need to get behind them and go with the most comfortable one.

If I'm proned out, the A-5 with an adjustable comb wins hands down. It's still my favorite stock for prone shooting.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.