Rifle Build Advice PLEASE!

Buano

Hi,

I picked up a stainless Winchester Model 70 with BOSS in the cheap plastic stock chambered for .300 Weatherby mag. I'm now seriously considering turning it into a long-range elk rifle that's light enough to cary up & down mountains all day. I'm not poor, but price does matter.

The first step will be to order a good stock for it. I lean towards a carbon-fiber stock for the stiffness & light weight.

• Any suggestions as to manufacturer or source for a good LIGHT sporter stock?

Assuming it will not prove to be the tack-driver I want, my next step will likely be to have the action trued & installing a match-grade barrel. If I replace the barrel I have the option of changing the chambering. Not wanting to butcher the magazine or bolt, and as I already have rifles chambered in .270 WSM, 7mm Rem mag & .375 H&H, the obvious choices would be .300 Weatherby, .340 Weatherby, .300 Win, or .338 Win.

• Any thoughts on chambering if I change out the barrel? (At this point I lean towards keeping it a .300 Weatherby with .340 Weatherby running a close second.)

And the hardest question:
• Any suggestions as to a quality shop for accurizing work?

Manners MCST ultralight, 300 win mag or 6.5x284

I love the Manners stocks but was hoping to spend a lot less than they cost. Their hunting stock, installed with paint, is over $700.

As I reload & already have lots of .300 Weatherby ammunition & dies, going Weatherby if I stay with a .300 mag makes more sense to me than changing to a .300 Win mag. Anyone disagree?

And the hardest question:
• Any suggestions as to a quality shop for accurizing work?[/QUOTE]

Kevin Cram - Montour County Rifles 570-437-2010

Call him tell him what your looking for and he will steer straight.

Last edited:
Lone wolf summit, same price, mine on a 340 was close to 16 oz. Does the 300 shoot, if it does keep it and wear it out then up grade barrel

There are several extremely good smiths these days, and I think you can find them all at some point or another on this site. Just didn't want to leave out Jim See @ Center Shot Riflles. He is currently doing a custom .270 wsm for me. Below is his info. Good luck with whoever you choose.

Jim See
Center Shot Rifles LLC
5331 Second Ave
Pittsville, WI 54466

Ph: (715) 884-2128
[email protected]

There are several extremely good smiths these days, and I think you can find them all at some point or another on this site. Just didn't want to leave out Jim See @ Center Shot Riflles. He is currently doing a custom .270 wsm for me. Below is his info. Good luck with whoever you choose.

Jim See
Center Shot Rifles LLC
5331 Second Ave
Pittsville, WI 54466

Ph: (715) 884-2128
[email protected]

Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.