Rifle Build Advice PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Buano, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Buano

Buano Well-Known Member

Hi,

I picked up a stainless Winchester Model 70 with BOSS in the cheap plastic stock chambered for .300 Weatherby mag. I'm now seriously considering turning it into a long-range elk rifle that's light enough to cary up & down mountains all day. I'm not poor, but price does matter.

The first step will be to order a good stock for it. I lean towards a carbon-fiber stock for the stiffness & light weight.

• Any suggestions as to manufacturer or source for a good LIGHT sporter stock?

Assuming it will not prove to be the tack-driver I want, my next step will likely be to have the action trued & installing a match-grade barrel. If I replace the barrel I have the option of changing the chambering. Not wanting to butcher the magazine or bolt, and as I already have rifles chambered in .270 WSM, 7mm Rem mag & .375 H&H, the obvious choices would be .300 Weatherby, .340 Weatherby, .300 Win, or .338 Win.

• Any thoughts on chambering if I change out the barrel? (At this point I lean towards keeping it a .300 Weatherby with .340 Weatherby running a close second.)

And the hardest question:
    • Any suggestions as to a quality shop for accurizing work?

2. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

Manners MCST ultralight, 300 win mag or 6.5x284

3. Buano

Buano Well-Known Member

I love the Manners stocks but was hoping to spend a lot less than they cost. Their hunting stock, installed with paint, is over $700.

As I reload & already have lots of .300 Weatherby ammunition & dies, going Weatherby if I stay with a .300 mag makes more sense to me than changing to a .300 Win mag. Anyone disagree?

4. JUDD

JUDD Well-Known Member

And the hardest question:
    • Any suggestions as to a quality shop for accurizing work?[/QUOTE]

Kevin Cram - Montour County Rifles 570-437-2010

Call him tell him what your looking for and he will steer straight.

5. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  6. JUDD

JUDD Well-Known Member

TREBARK are you followin me?? :D LMAO!

7. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

Lone wolf summit, same price, mine on a 340 was close to 16 oz. Does the 300 shoot, if it does keep it and wear it out then up grade barrel

8. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

somebody had to take yobuck's place :D

9. jbcarter88

jbcarter88 Active Member

There are several extremely good smiths these days, and I think you can find them all at some point or another on this site. Just didn't want to leave out Jim See @ Center Shot Riflles. He is currently doing a custom .270 wsm for me. Below is his info. Good luck with whoever you choose.

Jim See
    Center Shot Rifles LLC
    5331 Second Ave
    Pittsville, WI 54466

Ph: (715) 884-2128
    info@centershotrifles.com

10. Buano

Buano Well-Known Member

Thanks!