Need advice for .277 build

PRCLITE

I am missing a .277 caliber rifle from my arsenal. I was doing some research on the 6.8 western a few days ago and decided to do a custom build based on it but I'm second guessing it now. I went ahead and ordered a 24" Bartlein carbon fiber barrel with a 1:7.5" twist and 5R rifling yesterday which is going to take about six months so I have time to make a final decision on which .277 caliber I want to build. I know the 6.8 western is shiny and new but I can't help but be attracted to the ballistics for the 270WSM as well. I am definitely going to do a short action and the biggest thing is I do not reload so factory ammo or custom ammo will have to do. My question is should I base this build off of the 270WSM and buy custom ammo so I can run a heavy bullet or should I base it off of the 6.8 western and run the factory 175gr. offering from browning? I'm not sure there is another short action .277 that I would be interested in so I figured I'd post this for some advice. I'll also add that I ordered 200 rounds of the factory 6.8W ammo which is on the way but I'm sure I can always sell that if I decide against the 6.8W. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

I am going with new and shiny. Why do you feel the WSM would be better, or at least seem to have more attractive ballistics?

I am going with new and shiny. Why do you feel the WSM would be better, or at least seem to have more attractive ballistics?
I don't necessarily think the 270WSM is much better if at all to be honest. I've always wanted a 270WSM but didn't want to run lighter bullets such as 140's/150's which is why I never built one. Once the 6.8W came out I looked past all the marketing hype from winchester claiming it will outperform a 7mm mag and tried to do as much research as I could. I was attracted to the 175gr. offering in factory ammo. After poking around some more I thought running a heavier bullet in 270WSM via custom ammo, I could edge out the 6.8W but I don't think it would be enough to make that much of a difference. This build will be one of my all around hunting rifles on medium and large sized game. I'd like to have as much energy as possible for elk at longer ranges and don't want to regret my decision with either. I sometimes rush into a build and later on regret it such as the 6.5CM.

I don't necessarily think the 270WSM is much better if at all to be honest. I've always wanted a 270WSM but didn't want to run lighter bullets such as 140's/150's which is why I never built one. Once the 6.8W came out I looked past all the marketing hype from winchester claiming it will outperform a 7mm mag and tried to do as much research as I could. I was attracted to the 175gr. offering in factory ammo. After poking around some more I thought running a heavier bullet in 270WSM via custom ammo, I could edge out the 6.8W but I don't think it would be enough to make that much of a difference. This build will be one of my all around hunting rifles on medium and large sized game. I'd like to have as much energy as possible for elk at longer ranges and don't want to regret my decision with either. I sometimes rush into a build and later on regret it such as the 6.5CM.

Your thinking seems to have almost exactly mirrored mine. I am going with 175 grain too.

I already have a rifle with a unsupported non-factory chamber. Otherwise I would think more seriously about a Sherman. Factory loadings may be more expensive and less than ideal vs good handloads, but they can be found and don't take my time from something else. Right now time is pretty valuable. and will be for the foreseeable future.

Going to start out playing with the round on another rifle first, while I am building the lightweight custom rig for the Western. I will be spending a lot on the build, and it will take time to do as funds allow. So If I don't like it I can switch to something else before I order the barrel, which I am going to get last. Honestly though I don't expect too.

I think I'll just stick with the original plan on the 6.8W. It's a new round yes but it definitely fills a void I have and the convenience of the factory ammo will suit me just fine. I'll most likely buy more ammo before my rifle build is complete so I should have a good 500 rounds on hand by the time I'm ready to shoot. Thanks for the help,