Ultralight Build - Need Stock Advice

bronco

So I have been thinking of a .308 ultralight rifle build. Here is what I have so far:
By my math it should finish of at 5.5 lbs for the bare rifle and 6.5 lbs, scoped and ready to hunt.
  • Defiance sheep hunter action, deep flutes
  • Blind magazine
  • #3 Broughton 5c 1-10 twist, 20" finish, 8 Flutes
  • Jewell trigger at 2lbs
  • Talley LW Ring/Base
  • Swarovski Z3 3-10x42, ML Reticle
What I can't decide is the stock... McMillan Hunter's Edge or Manners EH-4; both with a 14.5" lop with 1" pad

The Manners looks like it would come out a couple ounces heavier, they will both accommodate my giant frame. Any opinions or experiences? Mostly on the two stocks but I am open to ideas on the build as well.

I have not worked with the Manners EH-4 yet, but have stocked rifles with the McMillan Edge, and the High Tech Specialties stocks. I would not recommend the High Tech stock. The last one I did for a member here the inlet was not straight to the profile and the bottom metal inlet was an abortion to put it kindly. The bedding project required a considerable amount of time and effort. I would rather have had an un-inletted stock...
Now the McMillan Edge stocks are a different story. Good inletting, and reasonably straight considering you are working with a stock that was popped out of a mold and not cut with the precision of a CNC milling center.

I have not used either stocks. There is a current thread [ this month] on light weight stocks. Try the advanced search option and try light weight stocks. There is a list of different ones and some real life experience with some of them. Good luck. Bruce

McMillan Edge is my vote.
Make sure you get your barrel contour right or your gunsmith will be angry with you. Really angry!
So my errr...buddy told me! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.