Need advice on Tactical 338 Lapua build

All I will add is, will all the shooters that are culling their 338 Lapua Magnum Brass after 3 firings please contact me before you throw it away. I will buy it at a fair price. Mine was still shooting 1/2 moa to well past 1400 yards at 15 firings. Maybe it was the bullets I was using?

But sorry guys I am not interested in any of your 3x fired 338-378 brass, it is almost done in.

Wonder how much brass I will get bought? Anyone care to wager?:rolleyes:

Jeff

Daddy Rabbit...what kind of action do you have? Do you have an idea of what type of barrel and stock you are going to get, yet? My long range rifle is in a McMillan M40A1 HTG stock with an adjustable cheek piece. Keep us posted on the progress and any pics.

I have a Stiller TAC 338 action. The 30'' barrel could be from any of the top 5 say Bartlein, Brux, or Krieger. I think I want it to be a cut barrel regardless. I like the McMillan A5 Mag adj stock to better facilitate the increased size of the 338 bolt. I am strangely drawn to the AR-30 muzzle break AR-30A1 .338 LAPUA MUZZLE BRAKE KIT, 3/4-24 , I think it gives it a little something extra. Love my Jewell triggers too.

Daddy Rabbit...what kind of action do you have? Do you have an idea of what type of barrel and stock you are going to get, yet? My long range rifle is in a McMillan M40A1 HTG stock with an adjustable cheek piece. Keep us posted on the progress and any pics.

Depends on how often idaho elk hunter shoots 338 Lapua...:D
I just sold(last month) on gun broker, 250 brass for the 338 lapua. I will typically do this every 6 months. I buy it new use it for 3 to 4 loads and sell it off. BROZ if you truly want some let me know. The last man that bought it told me that he used CCI primers due to they were a little larger and fit tighter in spent brass. These are NOT improved versions and they have been neck trimmed twice. I have been told by others that they get 2 to 3 more loadings out of them before they have the primers fit extra loose ( scary) or they are hard to chamber ( need to trim and full length resize). :)

If they chamber hard it is my experience it is usually the shoulder not a trim length problem, although they may need trimmed as well. I use a hand priming tool and feel every primer seat to the bottom. The last batch of 100 I felt no difference case to case after 14 firings. There was still a good tight fit and they were all the same. Like I said these 100 cases were loaded with nothing other than 300 gr bullets and a most charges were 92.5 gr of H-1000. None less than 91 gr. I would seriously worry if I was shooting a load that loosened a primer pocket in a Lapua .338 LM case. The only failures I have seen from Lapua head stamped 338 LM brass was after many firings and it was from separation above the web. But this brass had long paid it's dues and was still holding accuracy, as good as most humans can shoot at long range.

Yes, the Lapua 300 win brass (belted) of long ago that was discontinued was made by Norma for Lapua. This is the only case I am aware of that Norma made for them, there could be others I don't know. But I was under the impression it was to Lapua's requested specs. This is good brass too but no where near the tuffness of Lapua 338 LM brass. I shoot this discontinued brass in my 300 win and it will not get near 14 firings before the primer pocket loosen. Maybe 7 or 8 firings would be more like it. I would assume it is the same strength as the Weatherby 378 cases that fail in 4 to 5 firings but the 378 obviously is under more stress.

None of this is news, it is old facts that I and many others here are aware of.

As I posted, I would be interested in buying some 3 X fired 338 LM brass if it has not been abused. I would assume the price to be fair for used brass, and want assurance it was 3x fired. If I could be given the load info that was used in it that would be great too. But never the less I would buy a batch under these conditions and then I would inspect and measure it prior to use.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts