Need Opinion on Sizing Die

jhendri2

I just read in American Rifleman about a new sizing die that will prevent case bulges above the belt of a belted magnum, it says the die is capable of resizing 15 different cases. The website is www.larrywillis.com . As most of us use belted magnums this may be a great product. Let me know your opinion and maybe I'll buy one and test it out.

Jim

Unless your chamber is out of round and you can't chamber a fired piece of brass, it would be virtualy usless. If your chamber is out of round, best thing to do is have it fixed(set back a couple of threads). Why spend money to alievate the symptoms if you can fix the problem.
Just my opinion.

Jim,
Take a look at the article that I wrote about our new resizing die for belted magnums. The article was in Precision Shooting (Feb issue). You can see it, with pictures and all, on my web site at www.larrywillis.com I've recently talked to hundreds of shooters that know about this problem area "just above" the belt on belted magnums. We are already selling these dies in every state in the US, also in Canada, England and Germany. I'm amazed to see that this reloading problem has gone on for so long without being addressed. We are now collecting an impressive list of endorsements for this new die. The best way to learn about this belted magnum phenomenon, is to try this test. Take a new, unfired case, measure it "just above" the belt, load it and fire it. Then do it again with the same case. You will find that a conventional resizing die can not reduce this area "just above" the belt. Your case grows a little after each firing until it reaches your chamber size (usually after 2 or 3 firings)... then your finished with that case. Our die was designed to resize this area of belted cases, so that you can continue to reload these cases up to 20 times. Too many shooters are setting their dies against the shell holder and are pushing back the shoulder (even while following the instructions in some cases). Their hope is that they will be able to fully resize a belted case with a conventional die. It doesn't work. This causes the shoulder to blow out to fit the chamber and causes case separations. The only solution is to use our resizing die as an "extra step" to properly restore the size of belted cases, no matter if you full length or neck size.

Larry A. Willis

Larry,

I checked the site and am intrigued; however, it seems you don't have one to fit the large Weatherby (378-378). That's the one I need...any chance of getting one?

Ralph Jones

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts