I want to hear someone's opinion on the Thompson Venture.

7man

This rifle caught my eye, because it has a lot of features you don't find for a rifle in this price range. I looked at this rifle at the local shop, and I thought the action wasn't very smooth, and the stock felt pretty cheap. But, can it shoot?
Has anyone picked one up or bought one yet? Most articles I read talk this rifle up, but I need some critizisms here. How can anyone make an educated decision if all they hear are the pros and none of the cons, right?
I'm seriously considering owning this rifle. Especially since they're the only manufacture that offers a rifle for this price chambered in .280 Remington.

Last edited:
I don't think you will be dissapointed. Shot several of these, all in 223, on a pd hunt in WY this summer. They all shot very well. We have also had several customers that have bought them say they shot very well for them. Are there better guns? Sure but in that price range I think the Venture is as good or better than most.

Ventures are great shooters. If your budget allows you, go for the ICON. A friend just ordered one (.270) from Cabelas (in Billings, MT) for $150 less than the competitors. Don't forget TC's rebate program too.

Good luck!

Ed

Recently purchased a T/C Venture chambered in 30.06, topped it with a Simmons AETEC Master Series 4x14x40 IR Truplex. Completed a barrel break-in with 18 rounds of Remington 150gr core-lockt which took about 2.5 hours, but was also sighting in and making scopes adjustments. My Venture is definetly MOA with 150gr Remington, but it is sub MOA with Hornady 180gr. SST. (go figure) The longest shots I ever have to make at our club is 250 - 300 Yards. This rifle is a keeper!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.