Need info Rem 700 SPS or Savage 111 F

diamondmfarms

Need just about any infomation about a Remington 700 SPS 30-06 LEFT HAND 2009 model this one is coming out with the X Mark Trigger 24" barrel.
Compared too
Savage 111 FL LEFT HAND 30-06 with AccuTrigger 22" barrel this rifle is last years model and has iron sights.
Would like some infomation anyone has on scope mounts and a rail base for each rifle.
Choate stocks or any other stocks close to the price range of them or should we just stay with factory ones?
This rifle is for my son I am working him into a long range rifle one that he can also use to hunt with.
Thanks in advance for ALL the help [email protected]

when my sons came of age we didnt have nearly the choices we have today.
one is now 45, the other 38. i bought #1 a 243, and #2 a 7mm08.
i feel both were good choices as recoil should be a consideration for a young shooter.
as a lefty, ive owned both rifles. both will do the job for you.
savage has an advantage due to the ability to switch barrels and bolt faces.
so you could start him with a 7/08 and later turn it into a 280, or a 7 mag. then swap back to the 7/08. no gunsmith needed.
from an all round standpoint , their are better choices than an 06.
check out some data before you decide on that.

I like my Savage rifles better than my Remingtons.

I have two Savage actions. Both are long actions. One a magnum bolt face and the other is a standard bolt face. I swap barrels around on a frequent basis.

I swap between 220Swift, 22-250, 22-250AI, 308, 243, 270, 284win, 7mag, 7wsm, 30-06, 300wsm, 300win.

It takes me about 5 minutes to swap a barrel off and on. If I want to swap bolt faces in case I need them both to be magnum or both to be standard, it takes another couple minutes.

If you want to swap calibers freely and easily, Savage is the clear winner.

If you want a repeating rifle in a big booming cartridge, Remington has a bit more capability as well as a much larger following.

Both are good dependable factory rifles.

For Savage stocks, Stockade stocks are very tough to beat.

Last edited:
you did not say what you were shooting. If it is deer size game and down (along withn an occasional Elk hunt) I would look into a 260 or 7-08 instead of the 06. Both will effectively reach out quiet a ways without the recoil of the 06. Starting a new hunter off with an 06 will likely cause him to develope a bad case of fliching when firing the gun. That being said ... if he is a 6 ft. 2 inch 240 pound weight lifter you can ignor what I just said .... the recoil will not bother him.

Last edited:
just bought a rem 700sps in a 308 BBL rifle and i threw on a 10X40X50mm Osprey 10 - 40x50 mm Long Range Tactical Scope, Matte Black with a harris bipod and a uncle mikes Neoprene Buttstock Shell Holders and a tactical sling i put about $1,000 in everything so i was wondering if i should throw on a .308 VORTEX FLASH HIDER threw brownells and what ammo should i use. I just can't wait to go and shoot the thing it's going to be great

best of luck

Charles H Mousseau JR
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.