Need info on Howa

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by KRob, Mar 9, 2009.

1. KRob

KRob Well-Known Member

I am looking at two getting a 7m08, one for my baby brother and one for my fiance. I have always been a Savage guy. However some one suggested that i take a look at Howa so how are they? How do they compare to Savages?

THanks
    ROb

2. Kevin Cram

Kevin Cram <b>SPONSOR</b>

They both will perform fine depending on your standards. There are more after market parts readily available for Savage than Howa though depending on what you might what to do in the future with them.

3. carvermag

carvermag Member

My belief is that the howa will shoot tighter more accurate groups however, the savage is easier to upgrade. There isn't much you can do to a howa, I have 1 and it shoots great but I am dissapointed that I can't upgrade the trigger.

4. bwaites

bwaites Well-Known Member

Timney makes a Howa upgrade.

Bill

5. jimbojeweller

jimbojeweller Well-Known Member

Just let your fingers do the searching on google and you will see there are quite a few upgrades for the Howa rifles now. They are our biggest selling factory rifle here in Australia. I just got one in 7mmwsm as the base for a build :)

6. carvermag

carvermag Member

thanks for the info! I'm gonna buy a new trigger! The factory one sucks!

7. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

Timmny, rifle basix, and Jard make a trigger for the Howa. Manners,Boys and Joel Russo make stocks and Kevin Cram can do the work. He just trued mine for me.

8. Coyboy

Coyboy Well-Known Member

Howa triggers are adjustable and can be set to a very safe 2 lbs with little trouble.
    The few that went through my shop were well built, the machining of the bolt recess and the chambers looked way better than a remmy, along with the bore. I set one up for a guy and it shot 10 shot groups under an inch at 100 yards (308)

9. Chopaka81

Chopaka81 Well-Known Member

I have a Vangard, I replaced the OEM trigger with a Timney, if you are capable of operating a straight slot screwdriver, you can handle the trigger swap on a Vangard/Howa 1500.