Rem Sendero vs Savage 111

milkie62

I have wanted a 300 WM Remington Sendero. Now through my part time job I can purchase a Savage 111 for about $350 cheaper. I will be using it out to 1000 yd max for paper,a couple of Elk hunts and for ground hogs on occasion. Is one better than the other ? I have been reading different articles on the Savages but have not seen anything on the 111 in any of the magazines yet. I will also for starters putting a 6-24x Vortex scope on whatever I buy since I get a deal on them also. Thank you Ed

Assuming your talking about the Savage 111 Long Range Hunter.

Biggest differences:

* Savage has a 24" barrel with a 2" brake for a total of 26" The Sendero has a plain 26" barrel.
* Sendero is stainless steel the Savage is not.
*Savage has an excellent trigger. You will probably replace the Sendero trigger, so there is another $150 for that.
* Both have synthetic stocks with full bedding blocks, but have different profiles, especially in the grip area. Savage is thinner and the Sendero has a palm swell.
* They weigh about the same.
* A toss up as to which is the more accurate.

The Savage is a little better setup for long range shooting with the brake, adjustable check rest and good factory trigger. The Savage is not as pretty.

You could put the $350 savings and the $150 trigger money toward a scope. Really just depends on the rifle you like the best.

I'd say is more of a toss-up. Savage is cheaper, but has an inferior plastic stock.

By the time you you get a stock to match the Sendero, It's almost the same cost.

As already noted, then you have the trigger and barrel length issues.

But, for the price of either one you could find a cheap donor, good stock, great barrel (pre-fit savage or remage) and end up with a better rifle than the factory offering.

Yes, I was referring to the 111 LRH with the muzzle brake. There is one on the shelf where I work. With either rifle I would be shooting it for awhile B4 doing anything. With the Savage I would probably change out the stock eventually for something along the lines of maybe a laminate. So the trigger on the Savage is better than the stock Remington ? Hoping the Vortex will be a good scope to start with. Even if I change it for something else, it will not go to waste. LOL Thanks so far for the input.

62, geargrinder's response sounds interesting. If you could find a low cost doner, the laminate stock is around $200 with an extra or two. That leaves the barrel and you're in for under a grand. Of course you would need to do some of the work (remage barrel headspaced, stock bedded, etc). Might be an effective shooter. It's what you like. Good luck

I would favor the savage honestly. I have had three and they all shot very well. Accutrigger is excellent too. I rebarreled a 308 savage to 260 REM and I have taken a handful of white tail deer from 300 to 500 yards with it. It is a model 12, so not the same, but similar enough to be a useful comparison I think. Accuracy is very consistently under 3/4 MOA at 100 yards without doing anything too extensive on the reloading bench. My friend has my model 10 fcp in 308 now, and he kills a couple deer every year with it. Accuracy was just as good with it when I had it.

I like a brake on my 300 mags too fwiw.

All that said, the Sendero is a very nice rifle too. I think you will be happy with either one!

111 is just a 110 which is a fine rifle. I prefer savage rifles if I'm not going to do a full custom. I just get better results that way. Remington Sendero is for my money only more expensive.

Originally I was able to pick up the Savage for $700 so that made it a no brainer which gun to start with and see how it worked. Well now my price went up to $900 which still is not bad compared to Cabela's price for the Sendero which was right about $1295.

I have a 300rum sendero that shoots as good as any I've been around. It also comes with a HS precision stock which if I'm looking at the right one is about $400. I replaced the trigger with a Timney for about $125. I think the sendero is a heck of a gun for a factory offering. Plus I'm partial to stainless.

In my opinion the Savage isn't in the same discussion as far as looks goes compared to the sendero. There isn't any doubt that Savage has a great reputation for accuracy out of the box. I choose the sendero a year ago when I was in the same boat. It is a little heavy to pack around all day but I just tell myself to tough in up buttercup lol. I would suggest maybe finding a good used one maybe to save some money towards a trigger if you go with the sendero. But at the end of the day either one will get the job done.

I own a few Savages including the LRH in 6.5x284, and three Remington 700 Milpecs
(Two 308's, 300WM). Some observations:

-After load development, all rifles produced sub .5MOA performance. The Savage LRH, now over 5 years old gets the edge with groups closer to .25MOA.
-I have not replaced the triggers on the Savages, the Remington's, need a trigger job with the old style triggers, and an aftermarket replacement with the Mark-X(a poor design).
-The LRHstock required removal of a pressure tab at the forearm tip.....about 2 minutes of sanding.
It is a cheap looking plastic affair but, feels great and is very functional with the adjustable cheek piece. Good luck finding a decent replacement stock.
-The adjustable muzzle break on the LRH works well but will freeze up in short order. I just left it frozen in the on position.
-the HSP stock on the Remington(similar to the Sendaro) is nice quality as is the overcall fit and finish of the entire rifle, in stainless. I went with the MilSpec as opposed to the Sendaro because they seem to get an extra measure of QC. I have not seen, or heard of a poor performer. Also like the R5 barrel for high shot counts with easier cleaning.
-If weight is a factor, the LRH is a couple of pounds lighter, the barrel is about .1" less diameter at the muzzle. The weight of the Varmint barrel Remington's can get old if you carry much.

Overall, I think both are good rifles and personal appeal plays a big role in selection. Either will get the job done. The Remington IMO, has a more refined, high quality appearance, and aftermarket parts and accessories are abundant. It does cost more. If you can live with the LRH 'out of the box" it has everything you need. If you start to replace stock, etc, you will quickly reach the price of the Remington.

Both can deliver excellent accuracy. Left is a 200 yard group with my Remington(my 308 MilSpec's deliver comparable accuracy) Right, my Savage LRH at 500 yards.

Attachments

• IMG_0561.JPG
    IMG_0561.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0447.jpg
    IMG_0447.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 39
Forget Cabelas, buds has the sendero at 1096 and the LRH 649, there's always a chance you can find them cheaper or with rebates.

Im more partial to the 700, but most important is to get your hands on them and decide which fits you best. I picked up a police 700 .223 and absolutely hated the HS palm swell. Pick the one you like best regardless of price, a few hundred bucks means nothing 5yrs from now when you still want the gun you didn't buy.

Personally I'd give second thoughts to your scope. I'm not a fan of vortex, a bit heavy and just not to my liking for a hunting rig. But thats personal preference, you're the one lugging it up and down the mountain. You can't take a 1000yd shot if you can't get to the summit you need to shoot from in time.

I cannot swing the money for scope & rifle at the same time,hence going with the vortex since I can get it at 50% off. I would be working with that until I can move up to a Leupold or possibly a Nightforce.

I own a few Savages including the LRH in 6.5x284, and three Remington 700 Milpecs
(Two 308's, 300WM). Some observations:

-After load development, all rifles produced sub .5MOA performance. The Savage LRH, now over 5 years old gets the edge with groups closer to .25MOA.
-I have not replaced the triggers on the Savages, the Remington's, need a trigger job with the old style triggers, and an aftermarket replacement with the Mark-X(a poor design).
-The LRHstock required removal of a pressure tab at the forearm tip.....about 2 minutes of sanding.
It is a cheap looking plastic affair but, feels great and is very functional with the adjustable cheek piece. Good luck finding a decent replacement stock.
-The adjustable muzzle break on the LRH works well but will freeze up in short order. I just left it frozen in the on position.
-the HSP stock on the Remington(similar to the Sendaro) is nice quality as is the overcall fit and finish of the entire rifle, in stainless. I went with the MilSpec as opposed to the Sendaro because they seem to get an extra measure of QC. I have not seen, or heard of a poor performer. Also like the R5 barrel for high shot counts with easier cleaning.
-If weight is a factor, the LRH is a couple of pounds lighter, the barrel is about .1" less diameter at the muzzle. The weight of the Varmint barrel Remington's can get old if you carry much.

Overall, I think both are good rifles and personal appeal plays a big role in selection. Either will get the job done. The Remington IMO, has a more refined, high quality appearance, and aftermarket parts and accessories are abundant. It does cost more. If you can live with the LRH 'out of the box" it has everything you need. If you start to replace stock, etc, you will quickly reach the price of the Remington.

Both can deliver excellent accuracy. Left is a 200 yard group with my Remington(my 308 MilSpec's deliver comparable accuracy) Right, my Savage LRH at 500 yards.

Very good right up on your observations. Thank you,Ed.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.