Need help from the 7 mm STW boys

Blacktail

I have a STW a guy built for me 26" Shilen Mpi Stock etc. I am pretty new to loading and after some help from folks here got 72.5 gr of H4831 to shoot 140 accubonds at about 3250 fps and hold under .5". Was happy until it blew up on a whitetail running away from me at 150 yards. The bullet hit the left hind quarter and never even reached or broke the bone. Since then tried the TSX in 140 and with the same powder 3/4" up to 75 gr of powder and 3350 fps. I now hear the bullet maybe too hard and not opening up enough. I got the gun for antelope, coues and long range mulies. I am now thinking bout using the accubonds on lopes and coues and blacktails and the tsx on mulies. Any suggestions? Maybe the mrx, berger or even an A-Frame. The gun does not like Nosler Part. Thanks

STW

I have one with a H-S Precision 25" barrel. I tried 140 Nosler Balistic Tips at 3422 FPS on two elk and they went through like armour peircing bullets. I tried the 139 Hornady SST's with outstanding success on whitetail's. I am heading west at the end of the month loaded with 150 gr. Swift Sirocco's at
3307fps. I use RL22 82grs in the 140's and 80grs's in the 150's.[ go up to that slowly ] Your gun might not take that much. I use the WW cases three times and chuck them. The bolt opens good and I am getting 5/8th's to 7/8th's groups at 100yards. I have killed deer out to 550yds with no problem.
7828 gives the same results with the same charge weights also but I have a lot of RL22 so I use that.
Bob

I've had good luck with Berger 168VLD's over a stiff charge of H-1000 on whitetails.Terrific expansion plus complete pass thrus.Also they have proven to be scary accurate out of the two custom Rem 700's I've tried 'em in.

Personally I would try the 154gr Hornady Interbonds. I have had excellent luck with the 180 IB in a 30-378 holding together and creating a large wound channel.
I once thought that the TSX's were the answer but at very high velocity the petals peal off and the rest of the bullet pencils through.
I am a little surprised at the Accubond, I have never used them but sure didn't think that they would "blow up".
James

+1 on the 168gr Bergers over H1000. Scary accurate. Out of my 28" Broughton I get 3297fps. Never tried the lighter bullets.

Thanks fellas. This is some good info. Sorry Redbond not sure if i want to part with it just yet..

Try the 160 AB seated to just touch the lands, with around 83 or 84 grains of Retumbo. This will give you 3200 to 3250fps. H1000 also works but you'll get more velocity out of Retumbo. The 160AB holds up much better than the 140AB, I have shot hundreds of big game animals with both at ranges from up close out to 800 yards or so and the 160 AB is a superb bullet at STW velocities. For dedicated long range work in excess of 600 yards I'd rather use a better BC bullet like the A-Max, SMK's or Bergers, but for all round use there isn't a better bullet than the 160AB. The TSX's do loose their petals and pencil thru with closer range hits as someone mentioned above, so I don't use them in any of my ultra velocity rounds anymore. They're great in the medium velocity rounds and make them capable of killing things bigger than you'd expect.
I've been lobbying Chuck and Mike at Nosler to make a 175 or 180gn 7mm AB which will be an even better allround bullet in the 7mm RUM and the bigger wildcats, but I ain't convinced them yet. You guys in the US need to ear bash them as well and we'll get them one day!

one thing you need to know about stw's, if you wanna shoot game from close range to the limits of your ability, there is no 1 bullet that will do it, ballistic tips are great bul;lets at below 3300 fps, above that unless ya hit bone they will pencil through, hit the shoulder and they separate.
My solution is I shoot an accubond and always aim to break the offside shoulder, after watching the response of hundreds of deer, I think this is the best course of action. the ballistic tips do well past 300 yrds, but at 50 they really suck at 3550 fps.
RR

I was shooting the 150 grn SMK and had one put a very large hole on impact shooting pigs in Texas. This was a really close shot at about 80 yards and I just clipped the shoulder guard. I am trying 140 grn Acubond bullets at the moment but was wondering if this was to light a bullet. i mainly shoot whiteail and pigs with the occasional coyote that gets to close.

With this cartridge would a larger bullet be more usable?

My Sako STW gets fed 140 gr accubonds w/ 71.5 gr IMR 4350, Mag primers. This gives me about 3400 fps. Smokin' round!

I would love to help but unfortunately I am shooting factory Fed 150gr Nosler SB loads in mine for the time being. Hard to argue with groups around 1/2" at 200yds. I have shot a few hogs with them as close as 40 yds and didn't blow them up, and I was completely expecting it.

I have worked a bit on loads and want to shoot the 160gr weight just haven't settled on which one. I am however taking notes, so keep them coming. I have a ton of powder and primers to play with, just need the time and weather to cooperate.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.