7 mm STW barrel length ?

Lonnie

Is a 27 inch barrel long enough to achieve maximum effiecency and velocity for the 7mm STW shooting 150 and 160 gr. bullets ?

I have two with 26inch pipes on them and when I rebarrel them both I am going with a 28inch. I think a 28inch or 30inch would give you the best results.

Within reason, there is always a small gain in velocity when barrel length is increased. However, there is a "practical" limit to most things in life.

For bullets in the 150-160gr class I see no real advantage to having a barrel longer than 26". Even a 26" barrel on a long action can be cumbersome when moving around in the field.

If you want to shoot 180gr VLD's at extreme range than the added barrel length would be a "practical" consideration.

Just my 2 cents

I have always read or heard that for every inch of barrel, you can either increase or decrease velocity by 30-50fps. I was hoping to get a 28" for my 300 RUM and shoot the 200g at 3300fps. That might be pushing it, but you can get a tad over 3200fps with Retumbo and 26" I figure with the extra 2 inches, maybe 3300fps is attainable. I want a brake on my next barrel, or rifle. I dont want a 30" with 2" brake, thats to long IMO. I would like a 28" with a brake.

I have a 28 inch stw. My gun was built with longer heavy bullets in mind. I always recommend taking a look at ballistic charts. The lighter super speed bullets drop off speed so fast that usually by 300 or so yards the higher BC bullets are passing them. I usually shoot 175 SPB's The speed difference from 26 or 27 to 28 is marginal. What it does give a gun is forward weight bias and they are more pleasant to shoot when they don't have a brake like mine.

Another real gain to longer barrels is that you can attain higher speeds with less powder and stress on the cases......

I have a 28 and 29 inch gun and my next will probably be a 30

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.