7 MM STW and Barnes TSX

Blacktail

Anyone loading this in the STW? Looking for a better bullet in the 140 grain. I hear if you can get them to shoot well its the way to go..

The TSX are worth a try but if they don't shoot to your expectations then I'd try the Nosler Accubond in 140gr or (preferably) 160gr for the 7STW.

All Barnes bullets need a bore that is squeeky clean to begin load development. Traces of older fouling do funny things with the soft copper of TSX bullets and often give poor results. You should clean aggressively before starting with any Barnes bullets. In my experience, the TSX was much easier to find a decent load for than any of their previous bullets.

I shoot the 140gr TSX in a 7mm-08 but even with the best load the bullet seems finicky and is sensitive to barrel cleanliness. Too little or too much fouling and group size triples. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

For what its worth, I had my best luck with the 162gr A-Max which performed well on thin skined gameover long range.

Just my 2 cents.

Blacktail, Try using the 150 or 160 TSX in your rifle. You have plenty of power to get good results and the heavier weights do better at longer distances. Biggest test of the TSX bullet is finding the sweet spot in your barrel. Start at .050 off lands. Then move in & out to check best groups. NEVER go closer than .030, as pressures really jump if closer. Find the sweet spot and you will be very satisfied. Most folks who have inconsistent groups find a reloading practice that is no consistent or are loading too close to the lands. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.