7 MM STW Loads and Bullets

Blacktail

New to the site but heard there were a few STW fans over here. Had an STW built or rebuilt by a guy and just thinking bout getting my reloading equipment. Its on a Rem action with a 4 contour Shilen Barrel and MPI stock. Was hoping to shoot the 140's. The gunsmith worked up a load and sent me a box says they were chronographed at over 3400fps and accurate..have yet to get to the range..any thoughts?

the 140's will give you great results on deer!!! you might try the 160gr accubond or a similar wieght in the wildcat bullet line. these would probably give you great results on elk and still give you nice expansion on whitetails.

the stw is a nice round, i have always been a fan. i dont think of it as a real wildcat round but not really that much of a big factory round, kind of that middle ground that gives ya nice edge on the guys shooting the 7 rem's

good luck
steve

I built my 7 STW with a 10 twist for 140gr-150gr bullets. Mostly shooting whitetails at longrange.

Eventually I moved up to the 160 class bullets, which makes more sense for such a big case. The 162gr A-Max is an excellent bullet for whitetail size game at any range. The 160 Accubonds are shorter and would work better in most magazines. They would also let you use one bullet for everything from coyote to moose.

There is nothing wrong with 140's in the big STW but they seem much better suited for the 7mm-08 volume cartridges.

Just my 2 cents.

these loads are safe in my 28" bansner built stw, back off and work up
86 gr. H1000/fed. 215/nosler 140 gr bt/ 3550 fps
94 gr. wc872/fed215/nosler 160 gr accubond/ 3330 fps
JS

I never liked the 140's in STW. I much prefer a heavier bullet. The 160 Accubond is the do-it-all bullet for that caliber as others have said. Great BC, accurate, and excellent performance on game.

I find BC more important at long range than MV since the wind is your biggest issue, so I've never been a fan of lighter bullets in most calibers.

Good Luck with your new rifle.

The 160 gr.Accubonds are the way to go. I push them out of a 24" barrel at 3250 and they are deadly and accurate. R-25 has worked good for both of my STW's.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.