Need Help deciding on 6.5 for Hunting ?

This is what a 6.5 Creedmoor will do with 140 grain Bergers on deer. What you see is the exit from the projectile. Why need more?

2773c5c7979393b7c68c7fec96154b41_zpsi1zi6z2f.jpg

If simple to reload for means no fireforming and no neck turning, then stay away from wildcats. I would go with a 6.5x284 or a 6.5-06. My personal choice is a 6.5-06 AI.

Just for a point of reference on my 6.5-06. It has a 24.5 inch, #2 hart barrel with an 8 twist. 50 grains of RL22 gets a 140 berger going 2870 and I think it was 54 grains of H1000 is getting 2940 fps. Recoil is very mild and long range performance is good. The whole rig is under 8 pounds with an SWFA 3-9 scope on it.

I neck size 270 winchester down, trim to length and get very good accuracy. The bergers have worked on deer, mtn goat, black bear and antelope. No question they would work on elk too.

Im thinking about 6.5-.270 wsm what do you guys think of that ?

They work good or not at all, it seems to cross over into some case capacity that some will shoot lights out in the speed range they should run but some have to be idled back so far your better of with a 6.5x284 but neither ideally set up will fit a short action.
Since a wildcat is on the table with the 6.5-270 WSM I'd suggest looking up the 6.5 Sherman Short, you'll run an easy going 140 at 3200 fps this is not a max load and it will fit and cycle through a true short action. Dies and ready to fire form brass is ready to go. From there going slower I like the 6.5x47 Lapua, awesome little round!

Im thinking the 6.5 wsm or the 6.5 wby depending if I reuse my weatherby long action or go with a remington footprint. Belted or non belted is also up in the air ?

Lots of good suggestions that will meet your requirements. I would opt for the 6.5x284. With 6 years and a few dozen DRT whitetail, mule deer, and antelope out to 1200 yards, It's very easy to load, superb ballistic performance, and deadly accurate, I expect another 5 or 6 more years of this kind of performance out of mine shooting an average of 100 rounds/year.

This is typical performance of a 140 VLD, this one taken from under the hide of the far shoulder of a big 300+ pound Alberta mulie shot at long range.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 52
I want something easy to form brass so im still in the 6.5 wby or 6.5 wsm range for performance .Barrel life isnt very good with those but I only shoot till I work up the best load then I just use primarily for hunting .

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.