Need help deciding which caliber to get.

Hutch12

Hey thanks for stopping by to help me. I'll start out by giving a little information about my self. I'm currently 18 and i'm living in Tennessee, looking to get that first rifle in my name soon. I have been wondering if I want to get a at-15 or some other rifle. I grew up hunting ever since my father would take me out with the 410. I really didn't have much free time to hunting due to the sports I played during high school. I have always loved the thoughts of shooting long range. I doubt many people have heard of a game called Arma. This game is a military simulator game which took bullet drop into effect. The new one players have added wind into the game also. I would also try shooting out to 300 yards with smaller optics/iron sights. I think that is plenty of information about me now.

Now onto the questions and such I have. My goal is to go out west every year and try for a moose and also take some trips across the states to Alaska or other places with great game. So the questions I have is "what gun should I get?" I know a lot of people will say go with a 300 ultra or something a long theses lines. I was thinking about getting two rifles. One to shoot at paper and such for fun, which should be a cheaper caliber to shoot. Then one I shoot to check the sights and to take to the hills for elk and such. Yes, I will be reloading my ammo if this female running for office will stop scaring people into hoarding primers and such.

So Question's......
  1. What should my frist long range rifle be with out breaking the bank?
  2. (For question 1) How much would reloading this round normally cost?
  3. What optics would be a good choice you guys thing to start out with?
  4. Should I order a after market barrel and such for my firearm and contruct it my self?
Any other information would be great! Also feel free to ask me some questions!

Thanks
-Hutch

Couple of suggestions:

For the 'fun' gun - pick something in the 6.5 caliber. 260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x284, etc. Lot's of different one's to choose from. I'd lean towards the Creedmoor or the 260 as brass is around and they aren't too rough on a barrel.

For an 'out-west' general purpose gun you could go with a myriad of cartridges - 308, 30-06, 300 WM, 338 WM etc. All can and will take anything from antelope to moose given the proper bullet placement.

I agree that you need a few rifles.

For Moose, I'd recommend a 7mm, .30-06, or a .300WM. They all have enough power to drop a moose. That power comes with decent recoil, and if you are somewhat new to shooting, it can be difficult to tame.

I'd start off with a smaller caliber and develop you shooting skills, so you can better handle the recoil of the larger calibers.

Bbear mentions several good calibers that are capable of long distance shooting without the recoil of a 7mm, a .30-06, or the .300WM. All will allow you to reach out there while developing your skills.

What is your budget for reloading and your optics?

Swapping out barrels is something, IMO, that you should only try with the proper tools and experience. It is not as easy as it looks on the YouTube videos. You should be able to find an accurate production rifle without the need for swapping out barrels.

I would concentrate on one at a time and choose based on what is more realistic at the time. Big game hunts out west can be expensive and unless you have the resources available you may be saving for awhile.

Therefore, for something to shoot now and to aid in developing your skills I would go with some of the calibers that have been suggested. In my opinion, I would select the 6.5 Creedmoor in a Savage or Ruger.

Another great and proven caliber is the .308. The Remington 5R is a great platform to choose also.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of these choices. Also, these calibers are cheap to reload and components are easy to find.

Good luck!

All great replies, not much I can add other then if your looking for a great all purpose round that will be cheap to reload - I would stick with 308 or 30-06.

these paired with a 208 AMAX make for a great long range practice. Dollar for dollar, running these bullets with surplus brass, I don't think you could get any cheaper then that for serious long range work.

For optics, I would suggest looking into SWFA. they are now offering them in MOA. Or vortex HS LR, HST, something along that line good budget scopes.

1) Stay in the present.
2) Non-resident moose, and elk hunts out west will likely break the bank, always have mine anyway.
3) Conquer medium range first, and the cartridge class, best suited to that is the .260 Remington, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08, and the .308 itself.
4) Don't get locked in on one of these cartridges, instead narrow your focus to a suitable rifle, as all of these have their strengths, and shortcomings, and all will work.

I don't know what your price limit is, but there are turn key set ups in the classifieds here, and elsewhere you should look at. Saving a bit longer if you need to can save in the long run.

GOOD LUCK!

I'd get a 6.5 like the creed or 260 to practice with and for deer size game out to moderate distances and I'd also get a 300WM for longer shots and bigger animals.

I would concentrate on one at a time and choose based on what is more realistic at the time. Big game hunts out west can be expensive and unless you have the resources available you may be saving for awhile.

Therefore, for something to shoot now and to aid in developing your skills I would go with some of the calibers that have been suggested. In my opinion, I would select the 6.5 Creedmoor in a Savage or Ruger.

Another great and proven caliber is the .308. The Remington 5R is a great platform to choose also.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of these choices. Also, these calibers are cheap to reload and components are easy to find.

Good luck!

Yep, had mine since 2010...Been a hell of a rifle. Shoots .2's to .3's regularly.

A good ole' 7 mm rem mag will take care of all your needs til the day you get in the check out line. Recoil is not bad and most can handle it with no problem, extra bullet weight for big stuff someday, flat shooting and hard hitting..plenty of brass, lots of great hunting bullets, just a great all around cartridge...

1) Stay in the present.
2) Non-resident moose, and elk hunts out west will likely break the bank, always have mine anyway.
3) Conquer medium range first, and the cartridge class, best suited to that is the .260 Remington, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08, and the .308 itself.
4) Don't get locked in on one of these cartridges, instead narrow your focus to a suitable rifle, as all of these have their strengths, and shortcomings, and all will work.

I don't know what your price limit is, but there are turn key set ups in the classifieds here, and elsewhere you should look at. Saving a bit longer if you need to can save in the long run.

GOOD LUCK!

Excellent advice!

lightbulbSet a realistic budget, realistic goal, and realistic expectation(s). When I was 18, I was struggling to make ends meet.lightbulb

Cheers!

You have come to the right place of you are serious about getting into long range hunting. The are lots of experienced hunters/riflemen with a wealth of knowledge, and solid advice. Most have decades of shooting and hunting experience with a rifle and evolved their skills over time to be able to effectively take game at long range. Reading your post a few times. I think I may be the odd man out in terms of advise but over the past several years I have gotten involved with young people with experience levels similar to your own who wanted to seriously pursue the long range hunting sport. In the end, 90+ percent of your success will be determined by your basic level of shooting skill, and applying these skills to taking game. I would acquire a good target grade 22LR, bolt rifle like the Savage BVSS(or similar) and a quality turret scope. Set the rifle up, test ammo, learn about ballistic programs, and PRACTICE. Become totally proficient to 100 yards understanding elevation, wind, and most importantly, the skill of applying this knowledge to take varmints and small game. A 50 yard head shot on a chipmunk in a 5mph wind with a 22 is as difficult as a 600 yard chest shot on a whitetail with a 7mmMag. It is likely you can do this within ten minutes of your home. In the mean time you can study and learn what you need to do to progress to the next step with heavier armament, reloading, and your intended quarry. In our current world of fast food and great impatience, many would find this approach tedious and unnecessary but I have found it to be quite effective when starting someone from scratch.
IMO.

A good ole' 7 mm rem mag will take care of all your needs til the day you get in the check out line. Recoil is not bad and most can handle it with no problem, extra bullet weight for big stuff someday, flat shooting and hard hitting..plenty of brass, lots of great hunting bullets, just a great all around cartridge...

Can't argue with that logic either... Been deer hunting with a 7mmRM since I was 16. I will always have at least 1 in my safe.

compared to the expense of a single hunt out west, the rifle is nothing. rifles last a long time. get a sendero. leup[old 6.5-20

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.