Can't decide which caliber

mdrewel

I'm needing a new gun for mostly whitetail and every couple years elk.

I'm hung in between 7mm Rem. or the 300 Rum.

I'm a reloader and was thinking the 300 Rum. and 150 grain bullet for the whitetails and 180 for elk.

What's everybody else think?

I have a 300 RUM and use it for everything from antelope to elk. It is actually the only high powered rifle I hunt with anymore. I use the 180 grn accubond and 94 grns of H-1000. Love the combo and have it to where it doesnt kick as hard as my old 30-06. I also have a 7mm RUM and never even shoot it cause I like the 300 so much

ditto the 300 rum but with 200gr accubonds at 3135ftps using 95.5 gr retumbo. I have a rem 700p without a break and it kicks less than my 300wm . i really like shooting it . I've shot every thing from rats to deer with it that we have in south tx

Are you kidding me? Your throwing a 200 grn accubond at over 3100 fps, whats your grouping off the bench and how does your brass last??? I would love that combo, guess I wll go buy some retumbo and get the chrono warmed up again LOL

my best groups are right at 1/2 inch if i do my part this load is max according to hodgens data . the only pressure signs i've had is slight ejector marks on some cases i'm on my 3rd loading on these cases. not to worried about case life i bought 250 cases off ebay last year for $58 so if i get 4 or 5 loadings they should last me the life of the barrel. i was planning on shooting out this barrel and having it rebarreled to 338 edge but i like the 300 rum so i'll rebarrel it with a 28 inch hart chambered for the 300 and build a 338 from scratch

.300 RUM, and as soon as you can, build a .338. Good hunting, Tom

On edit: added the .338

Last edited:
Get yourself the 300 RUM and shoot either the 200 gr accubond or the 208 gr Amax or the 210 Berger. I wouldn't fool with anthing lighter than the 200 gr if it were me. It will kill a deer just as dead as the 150 gr and then you just have one load.

I agree with bialey...I'm having a 300RUM built as I type (my obvious chioce of the two)but if you are going to go with the big case, go with big bullets. I found this board when I was asking, why the RUM when you only get a couple hundred fps over the WM with 180gr bullets? If you want to use the 180s & 150s you might want to think about a WinMag (or heaven forbid, the 7) and save the powder, barrel and recoil.

Either way you will do good, good luck.

I only use 200 grain Accubonds in my 300Wby and down loaded, I run mine right at 3100 fps and have a bunch of brass at 10 loads that now need anealed due to loss of neck tension. It shoots under 1/2 if I do my part and my proudest group was 3" at 885 yards. I use IMR-7828SSC and CCI-250 primers. I shoot eveything from birds to elk with it if they will let me!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.