Need Help deciding on 6.5 for Hunting ?

Jrin21

Going to start a new custom build . Thinking 6.5 for hunting 100-700 yards for deer to bear etc. I want something that has good accuracy , brass , barrel life etc . I also only load on a single press so something that is farely easy to load . I would like something between 2900 fps to 3400 fps in that range . Planning on throating whatever I decide on for the Hornady 142 grain eldxs or the 160 matrixs depending on game. Thinking manners stock , 1-8 twist 27 inch barrel , remington long action or short action havent decided.

Do you know what brass and dies you would use for no neck turning or fireforming ? IS this better than the suam or wsm?

Do you know what brass and dies you would use for no neck turning or fireforming ? IS this better than the suam or wsm?

You can use .270 Win or .280 Rem brass for the 6.5 Sherman. And you can use 7mm SAUM brass for the 6.5 SS.

Custom Whidden dies can be bought, and reamers can be rented directly through Rich Sherman (elkaholic).

Is there any advantage over my .257 weatherby though ?

Much cheaper brass, less powder consumption, more efficient case design, heavier higher BC bullets...

I had a .257 Wby from 2008 to late 2014. Built a .25-06 AI 40-degree in early 2014. They were within 100 fps of each other in velocity using the same Berger 115 VLD bullets, from my 2 rifles (some barrels are faster than others, some slower).

Personally, I feel that with the current bullet offerings, the .257 Wby is too overbore. It is a great caliber, but I would put it in the same class as the 7RUM... Too small of a bore, for too large of a case capacity, but they DO serve a niche' purpose. Now that the new 195+ grain bullets are being offered in the 7mm class, the 7RUM will start to be relevant again. If someone (preferably Berger) would start producing some high-BC heavy .257 bullets in the 130-135 grain range, then the .257 Wby would definitely shine over the .25-06 AI, because of the larger case capacity to push the heavier bullets more efficiently.

This is just simply my personal opinion.

Seems like velocity and ft lbs is better than any 6.5

Yes, until you reach beyond a certain point, my guess would be around 500-600 yards. Then the heavier weight and higher BC of the 6.5mm bullets will far outshine the lighter weight and lower BC of the .257 caliber bullets.

Not trying to discourage you, because I am also a 1/4-bore fan, but everything has its limits, and with the very limited bullet weight offerings we currently have in the .257 caliber, the 6.5mm will be a better option for long range shooting.

The .257 long range high-BC bullet market has been left in the dust, unfortunately, same goes for the 8mm market. I'm hoping that someday one of the big bullet companies will remedy that.

Seems like velocity and ft lbs is better than any 6.5

Keep in mind a 6.5 you'll be gaining loads of B.C and a good bit more in weight and diameter, The extra bullet weight when the bullet is expanding and loosing weight will allow for a greater amount of fragmentation while its passing thru.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.