Need help and suggestions for moa rail and rings Current setup wont work

Hi. Had same issue with my 340 WBY. I ended up with a 20 moa night force rail, med rings. Mounted exactly and marked pic rail. Cut mid section out of rail and mounted with locktite. Have room on top to load and shell ejection. Have shot over 100 rounds, 4x4 truck and quad in rocky mountains. Dead on. No issues. Planing to do same on my 300 WM with same scope as you. Hope this helps. đź‘Ť

They make off set rings that fit the Luepold type base plate. Send phone # and I can send photos of a set. Thanks I hope this helps . Robert

I just bought a new Zeiss V4 6-24x50 scope and Hawkins LR Hybrid rings. They were supposed to go on my Rem 700. The rings will not allow my scope to sit properly as the taper to the bell area is to fat. (Photos attached)
I would like the scope to sit lower if possible. I liked the idea of the 25moa rings but they will not work.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what you would do in this situation? 20 moa Rail with lower rings? Does someone build a two piece 20 moa pic. rail for the Rem 700 LA?

I spoke with Hawkins and where I bought the rings and they both said I need to change rings and go to a rail or change the scope.

I want to keep the scope.
I could use some advice on where I should go with my setup. I want it as light as possible within reason/price.
I just bought a new Zeiss V4 6-24x50 scope and Hawkins LR Hybrid rings. They were supposed to go on my Rem 700. The rings will not allow my scope to sit properly as the taper to the bell area is to fat. (Photos attached)
I would like the scope to sit lower if possible. I liked the idea of the 25moa rings but they will not work.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what you would do in this situation? 20 moa Rail with lower rings? Does someone build a two piece 20 moa pic. rail for the Rem 700 LA?

I spoke with Hawkins and where I bought the rings and they both said I need to change rings and go to a rail or change the scope.

I could use some advice on where I should go with my setup. I want it as light as possible within reason/price.
Try a weaver 20 m.o.a one piece rail or buy the weaver 2 piece mounts ive done this on 3 Rem 700 long actions

I believe Weaver does. I use the weaver 1 piece 20 moa rails have them on 2 rem 700 long actions with nightforce scopes with a 50 and 55 mil objective lens

Why should the scope sit higher for long range? How is this 70s 80s?
The short answer to this is " It is hard to see through the barrel with enough elevation dialed in for 1000+ yard shots. Your optical axis is lower as range increases to get the desired elevation of the barrel to "lob" in your shot. An extreme example is an artillery sight is completely to the side of the barrel for a target you can see 15 miles away but the barrel is aimed up at 45 degrees to drop the shell on target." This also becomes more of a problem as barrel length increases.

I like the scope . If you went with a rail and other rings you would get the clearance for your scope bell .

The short answer to this is " It is hard to see through the barrel with enough elevation dialed in for 1000+ yard shots. Your optical axis is lower as range increases to get the desired elevation of the barrel to "lob" in your shot. An extreme example is an artillery sight is completely to the side of the barrel for a target you can see 15 miles away but the barrel is aimed up at 45 degrees to drop the shell on target." This also becomes more of a problem as barrel length increases.

Saw an episode of guns and ammo tv where they made a 2 mile shot with a 50 bmg. They had to use a prism to get enough elevation for the shot . They said the round was something like 200ft above line of sight at its apex ! He made the shot, but they admitted that it took a few takes, lol. They had people lined out 3 deep, hunkered down in safety to give dope on misses to get him on target.

Wow!!! I just got home and opened my email and this thread blew up. I really appreciate all the recommendations everyone has given me so far. I am going to start reading through these posts and looking at the rings that were mentioned in a few minutes.

For those wondering about my setup and what I plan to do with it it's pretty simple.

It's a hunting rifle. Rem 700 BDL trued action with a 26" Bartlein #3 5 R barrel and brake. I not going to be shooting at animals past 600 yards and only if the conditions are perfect. I'm a bowhunter so I like to get really close.

This gun shoots incredibly well for an old school Rem 700. It shoots ragged holes at 200 yards with me behind it. I can tell you it's not the shooter. It must be the barrel.

I want to be able to shoot steel out past 750 yards as that was as far as my VX-3 4.5x14x40 CDS scope would dial to. I'm starting to get bored shooting the 575 and 750 yard steel targets at the range.

I was told I'm not going to get to 1000 yards unless I put 20 moa on the rifle. What's wrong with a guy wanting to extend his range a bit? You'll laugh as I've never shot an animal past 150 yards ( Elk or deer)
If I'm wrong please correct me.

You guys have been awesome. I really appreciate all the help!!

call pacific tool an gauge in white city ore. they can help have a custom action from them an scope rail no problems

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.