MOA setup help

That is how I got in trouble.......It is .47" for each one moa of addjustment, but it takes 23 to 40 moa of adjustment (depending on caliber) to reach a 1000yards.

beakus33, you're looking at it as if a laser's trajectory.
But try this:
23.2moa of needed adjustment is 93 quarter clicks(23.2x4).
But 23.2moa = 24.3 IPHY(1.0472x23.2), which is 97 quarter clicks(24.3x4)
If you generalized that 93 clicks was 'close enough', you would be off 4 clicks low(1 full moa at 1000yds, or 10.472")

beakus33, you're looking at it as if a laser's trajectory.
But try this:
23.2moa of needed adjustment is 93 quarter clicks(23.2x4).
But 23.2moa = 24.3 IPHY(1.0472x23.2), which is 97 quarter clicks(24.3x4)
If you generalized that 93 clicks was 'close enough', you would be off 4 clicks low(1 full moa at 1000yds, or 10.472")

Exactly right!

S.O.B. It just clicked, per m.o.a. But i still dont understand the IPHY. Is there some place i can see it written down or a graph to see if it makes a differance or will it with a moa scope. How in the hell is one supposed to figure all this crap from behind a gun if your butts getting shot at.I mean really is there cheater sheets, crap and i havent ever gotten into windage yet.

S.O.B. It just clicked, per m.o.a. But i still dont understand the IPHY. Is there some place i can see it written down or a graph to see if it makes a differance or will it with a moa scope. How in the hell is one supposed to figure all this crap from behind a gun if your butts getting shot at.I mean really is there cheater sheets, crap and i havent ever gotten into windage yet.

I believe all that matters is that you understand what the click values are on YOUR SCOPE. You will know this when you go out and test your equipment. Then you develope loads and practice, practice, practice! Only then will you be ready to go into the battlefield where the deer and the antelope roam. Slow down and don't over think it. Set smaller goals like becoming proficient at 300, then 400, then 500 etc. After you get to where you are very comfortable at 500 then it's time to do your homework. Learning to shoot long range will not happen overnight. At least it sure hasn't for me yet.

It is a slippery slope you have started down. A riddle that needs solved in order to be effective at long range. An addiction......... but your in good company. IPHY is often referenced in an attempt to draw a distinction between itself and moa but more often than not just adds confusion. Hence my earlier suggestion that you confirm you scope tracks in moa and then forget IPHY. Other than fine tuning you close range zero it is irrelevant. Start a log book if you have not and after some trigger time your dope for a given load in a given rifle will be second nature. Trigger time and reference notes will help, in fact just righting them down will help train your memory ............................................. "Fear the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it"

What they are saying is correct. The error between IPHY and MOA is .0472. This error has to be accounted for every 100 yards of distance to the target AND for each MOA (or 4 clicks or the turret) of adjustment needed to get on target at the distance you are shooting.

Try not to get too caught up in the math though. It can drive you crazy! The good news is once you measure your clicks, so you can find out exactly how far your turrets moves per click, and then adjust your ballistic software to match you don't have to worry anymore! :)

Scot E.

IPHY is often referenced in an attempt to draw a distinction between itself and moa but more often than not just adds confusion. Hence my earlier suggestion that you confirm you scope tracks in moa and then forget IPHY.
No, you cannot just 'forget' the number of inches per 100hyds.
Unless your scope adjusts to 1.047 inches per 100yds, it is not MOA.
If it doesn't adjust to 3.6" per 100yds it is not MIL.
You then have however many IPHY your scope actually is.

In all reality, IPHY is the easiest system, and also highest in precision.
Any American could snap right off the top of their head that 1 IPHY is 6" @ 600yds.
We can easily visualize & roughly measure it.

But whatever your adjustments are, it can be entered & used to derive correct clicks, or reticle hold-offs in ballistic software.

OK.......just to clarify what I mean: my 338 needs 80 clicks @870yards /4k ft /70 degrees with my standard load in my rifle with my scope. once this is confirmed the terminology means nothing. How many inches is that? I do not remember and it does not matter. How many mils? who cares my scope does not adjust in mils. My only point is whatever terminology you use, the only thing that matters is the reality and your understanding of it or in other words: do not get bogged down worrying about things irrelevant to your system.

mikcr.............you are of course right if you scope doesn't track accurately......but if you verify and find that it does it is easier with todays available software to calculate in moa as opposed to iphy plus correction.

ok here's what i think i'm gonna do, get an a**load of ammo,go sight in @100yds, step back per 100,shoot till i get center then carve it into my stock and say to hell with the math, i didnt like it any way. thanks D.ID, I like the way you think.

A little farther than I wood go and not exactly what I meant, but thanks for the chuckle. Good luck in your pursuits, Verify you adjustments. My only point was to keep it as simple as need be. It is not rocket science or complex mathematics but it gets confusing if you over think it. Take her easy.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.