need advice on powder measure

I know of Harrel but unsure how differently they work compared to any other manual dispenser like the RCBS uniflow for example.

I started off with the uniflow, dispensing into 505 beam scale & then trickling(think that's how most people start?)
Thing is the charges were all so varied, I know the one above this model has a baffle & micrometer & might be better but I still think this comes down to the user & how consistent you are in your strokes & how the powder settles.

Been in many a discussion about powder dispensing, some people going down the path of scientific/lab/Analytical models which can measure to the +/-.01gr not the +/-.1gr like most scales do.

As usual it comes down to how much you want to spend!

Here is the link to his powder measures and a couple of Videos. as stated earlier It is the best I have ever used, and feels great with the ball bearings. the adjustment is also the best I have seen.

Like you said, the rhythm and consistency of your process has a great bearing on the accuracy of your measure.

For many years I preferred an Ohaus powder measure because it was more consistent than any other measure I had owned. then I tried the Harrell's. End of story.

J E CUSTOM

After using almost every measure known to man I finally found a Jewell of a measure. The in my opinion is faster and more accurate than anything I had ever used. It is not cheep but it will pay for it's self in time and accuracy.

Not knocking other measures and having the same difficulties with the auto measures, this will be the final measure for me. Harrell is great to deal with and his quality Is #1 in my book. he also makes several different sizes and models for the measure you need. It also has the best adjusting mechanism I have ever used.

By once and be done.

J E CUSTOM 👍 👍 👍

I had quit using powder measures until I tried a buddy's Harrel.......I soon bought one. Spendy ? Yup but all those others I owned added up also.

Have you ever looked into charge master fixes?
You need some of these for the trickle tub, some people use the McDonalds straw method.

When you pay that amount of money for something to measure your powder, and you have to stick a straw in it to try make it work, you've been suckered.

Clever is in avoiding expensive electronic equipment that needs straws stuck in them.

Having to switch it on an let it "settle" for 30 minutes is not a good product feature.

Having to keep it away from vibrations is not a good product feature, because there is actually an electric motor in it that vibrates, so Catch-22 all day to you.

Having to keep it away from certain lighting sources is not a good product feature.

A Lyman 55 [ or your dispenser here ] and powder trickler over a [ your electronic scale here ] is faster and more accurate than any automatic powder dispenser.

Looking for advice or opinions on a powder measure. I reload multiple cartridges and need a measure that I can dial in different charge weights without too much fuss.

Hornady powder measure with one pre-set insert per powder charge.

Set the insert to the correct powder charge , and tighten the lock ring.

It takes a few seconds to change between inserts.

When you pay that amount of money for something to measure your powder, and you have to stick a straw in it to try make it work, you've been suckered.

Clever is in avoiding expensive electronic equipment that needs straws stuck in them.

Having to switch it on an let it "settle" for 30 minutes is not a good product feature.

Having to keep it away from vibrations is not a good product feature, because there is actually an electric motor in it that vibrates, so Catch-22 all day to you.

Having to keep it away from certain lighting sources is not a good product feature.

A Lyman 55 [ or your dispenser here ] and powder trickler over a [ your electronic scale here ] is faster and more accurate than any automatic powder dispenser.

Many people have had good luck with the Charge Master but I didn't. I spent much of my time
waiting on it only to get an error 2 out of 3 times. based on recommendations of others, I bought another one to speed up the process and try to have a precise measure on one of them. (He used 3 of them).

I was faster with the Harrell's measure and just as accurate. so I sold my Charge Masters and have never looked back. Also rarely do I have to use my powder trickle.

J E CUSTOM

Many people have had good luck with the Charge Master but I didn't. I spent much of my time
waiting on it only to get an error 2 out of 3 times. based on recommendations of others, I bought another one to speed up the process and try to have a precise measure on one of them. (He used 3 of them).

I was faster with the Harrell's measure and just as accurate. so I sold my Charge Masters and have never looked back. Also rarely do I have to use my powder trickle.

J E CUSTOM
Fair enough, its whatever works for you.

I have had no issues with mine other than it was slow, that was until I put in the speed up codes & now it charges by the time I have seated the previous round.

Ok, an update on my ChargeMaster. Last night I did an experiment with the McDonalds straw "upgrade".
I filled the hopper with about 1/2 pound of IMR 4831. Not the easiest powder to dispense due to the properties of an extruded powder. I set the weight at 44.2 grains and dispensed 8 charges. I got seven at 44.2 and one at 44.3. Those charges were after the scale read 'stable'. Night and day difference compared to throwing without 'straw' upgrade.

Sure enough, however: You set the charge amount for 42.2, wait for the powder to dispense to within 1 grain and it goes into trickle mode. Next it beeps, and the screen says: 42.2 Now you are supposed to wait till you get the 'stable' reading, and sure enough your weight is .1 to .2 grains over 42.2 (which usually occurs 6 out of 10 times). What I do now is purposely set the weight to .2 grains under and then trickle up from there. How is that better than a standard power measure?
I know of what you speak. When I first got my RCBS Chargemaster Light I tested it against my triple beam balance and from what I could tell it was throwing the charge about 1/10 grain light - but it was doing so consistently. I called RCBS and a nice young lady engineer told me it was probably due to static near the patten so she instructed me to wipe it off with
An anti-static dryer sheet. I did and it seemed to reslove the issue. I think it still throws a bit low but by only maybe a few hundredths and it's consistent so I don't fret over it.

The Chargemaster Light seems to be what the Chargemaster should have been.

My son got one, contrary to my advice. I taught him using a Hornady measure and a trickler over an electronic scale, but he loves all the gadgets, and got this. He stopped double checking the charges soon after he got it - it throws the same charge every time. It's been working properly for 8 months, over 2000 dispenses.

It does need a full 10 minutes to "warm up", something that would irritate me, but he loves his Chargemaster Light.

Ok, an update on my ChargeMaster. Last night I did an experiment with the McDonalds straw "upgrade".
I filled the hopper with about 1/2 pound of IMR 4831. Not the easiest powder to dispense due to the properties of an extruded powder. I set the weight at 44.2 grains and dispensed 8 charges. I got seven at 44.2 and one at 44.3. Those charges were after the scale read 'stable'. Night and day difference compared to throwing without 'straw' upgrade.

FYSA, here's an anti-static straw insert for RCBS chargemaster/Hornady auto-charge https://mkmachining.com/product/rcbs-chargemaster-antistatic-straw/ for what it is worth.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.