need advice on powder measure

jimwest

Looking for advice or opinions on a powder measure. I reload multiple cartridges and need a measure that I can dial in different charge weights without too much fuss. I started with a plastic Lee model that's not all that great. After using it for a while I upgraded to the RCBS Chargemaster. In all honestly the Chargemaster is a bit of a pain. So I'm looking at either an RCBS or Hornady model. The Hornady Lock-N-Load model sells for about $75 and the RCBS Competition goes for about $140. Your thoughts and comments on either model appreciated.

I use the standard RCBS for rifle, works fine. For handgun I use the 'Little Dandy' with an adjustable rotor, works for me.

If just doing 20 rounds or so, I find A scooper and weigh each charge. I thought the Lyman got good reviews also.

I have a Redding that works very well, also use the Hornady on the Hornady LNL ammo plant, and have had no trouble with it. I did get the micrometer adjusters for it though. But mostly I use the Chargemaster and i wouldn't be without one.

I highly recommend the Redding 3BR powder measure. I have one and it's excellent. It will throw within 0.5gr with most stick powders. I throw the charge in my powder pan, weigh it, and trickle up. Doesn't take long to do and it's fast and consistent.

I have the Hornady Lock and Load and it's ok. I use mostly longer extruded powders that it doesn't measure consistently. I think it would be pretty good with shorter extruded powders or ball powders though. If you are interested in the Hornady let me know, I plan on listing it on here in a few days. I just ordered a Harrell that I hope works better with my longer extruded powders.

After using almost every measure known to man I finally found a Jewell of a measure. The in my opinion is faster and more accurate than anything I had ever used. It is not cheep but it will pay for it's self in time and accuracy.

Not knocking other measures and having the same difficulties with the auto measures, this will be the final measure for me. Harrell is great to deal with and his quality Is #1 in my book. he also makes several different sizes and models for the measure you need. It also has the best adjusting mechanism I have ever used.

By once and be done.

J E CUSTOM 👍 👍 👍

Sure enough, however: You set the charge amount for 42.2, wait for the powder to dispense to within 1 grain and it goes into trickle mode. Next it beeps, and the screen says: 42.2 Now you are supposed to wait till you get the 'stable' reading, and sure enough your weight is .1 to .2 grains over 42.2 (which usually occurs 6 out of 10 times). What I do now is purposely set the weight to .2 grains under and then trickle up from there. How is that better than a standard power measure?

Sure enough, however: You set the charge amount for 42.2, wait for the powder to dispense to within 1 grain and it goes into trickle mode. Next it beeps, and the screen says: 42.2 Now you are supposed to wait till you get the 'stable' reading, and sure enough your weight is .1 to .2 grains over 42.2 (which usually occurs 6 out of 10 times). What I do now is purposely set the weight to .2 grains under and then trickle up from there. How is that better than a standard power measure?
Have you ever looked into charge master fixes?
You need some of these for the trickle tub, some people use the McDonalds straw method.
CNC Nozzles.jpg

Since I have had these I get an over or under throw 1 in every 50 throws, usually its an over as a couple of extra granules drop can in, I just take a couple of the grains out with my fingers when this does happen but its rare.

These are basically just a restrictor, one is for smaller grains the other for larger, find something about 1/2 an inch long that fits snuggly into the trickle tube, like I said some people use a cut paper straw.

Thanks
, I have read about these fixes but wasn't sure if the restrictor went inside or outside the trickle spout/tube
I'll give it a try.

After using almost every measure known to man I finally found a Jewell of a measure. The in my opinion is faster and more accurate than anything I had ever used. It is not cheep but it will pay for it's self in time and accuracy.

Not knocking other measures and having the same difficulties with the auto measures, this will be the final measure for me. Harrell is great to deal with and his quality Is #1 in my book. he also makes several different sizes and models for the measure you need. It also has the best adjusting mechanism I have ever used.

By once and be done.

J E CUSTOM 👍 👍 👍
I know of Harrel but unsure how differently they work compared to any other manual dispenser like the RCBS uniflow for example.

I started off with the uniflow, dispensing into 505 beam scale & then trickling(think that's how most people start?)
Thing is the charges were all so varied, I know the one above this model has a baffle & micrometer & might be better but I still think this comes down to the user & how consistent you are in your strokes & how the powder settles.

Been in many a discussion about powder dispensing, some people going down the path of scientific/lab/Analytical models which can measure to the +/-.01gr not the +/-.1gr like most scales do.

As usual it comes down to how much you want to spend!

Frankford Intellidropper works great for me. Doesn't overdrop, well maybe once in a hundred. Has a powder calibrator that works really well. Throws a 50 grain charge in about ten seconds, regardless of powder type, when calibrated (which takes about 30 seconds). Also has a phone app where you can store charge data and send it to the scale via bluetooth.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.