Need advice on Scope, Mount & Rings

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by BullBarrel, Feb 16, 2012.

1. BullBarrel

BullBarrel New Member

Hi, I'm just starting out with distance target shooting. I have a Savage 10FP on order but I'm not sure which make of Base, Rings and Scope to get. I keep reading that quality counts when it comes to the Scope, Mount and Rings. I'm not looking to spend a fortune so something that is middle of the road price wise is what I am looking for. Any suggestions would be welcomed!

2. kbaerg

kbaerg Well-Known Member

My two cents would be look into the vortex viper pst line If you want a mill or moa scope. I purchased one for my 300 win mag, so far I really like it and seems to be fine for me. It didn't break my budget and seems to have great reviews.

3. grit

grit Well-Known Member

The viper is a very good scope at a great price. I like Seekins rings and bases. Great features, great quality, good prices.

4. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

If you put a dollar amount on your budget (i.e. under a $1,000), you'll get better suggestions for your consideration.

Good luck!

5. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

Burris XTR Rings, EGW base 20MOA, Weaver Tactical 5-20, Viper PST, Falcon Menace, Bushnell 6-24 4200 Elite Tactical, Nikon Monarch, Millet LRS.... depends on what you are looking for. Any of the above optics will serve you well.

6. diriel

diriel Well-Known Member

+1 to what liltank said,

I would add Burris Signature Zee Rings in weaver style, and an EGW Weaver style base.

For scope you might also look at the super sniper 3x9, it is a pretty solid scope for the money. Lots of good suggestions on scopes so far.

Gary

7. JeffP40

JeffP40 Well-Known Member

Here are my three suggestions.
    First, lowest cost, Bushy 3200 10x mil-dot. Discontinued, but you can find used for about $150. Good reviews. Works. I have one on the way.
    Second, Buckmaster 4.5-14 mil-dot. Used for about $225. I have two. work great, I crank the crap out of the turrets, and it works. Good optics at low cost.
    Third, Viper. Hard to beat. $400 to $900 depending on model. Great optics, even better customer service. Great reviews. A PST FFP will be my next scope.
    Try to get your hands on them all and decide for yourself. Something will trip your trigger.