Need advice on caliber for Moose and bear in Alaska.

She got her rifle in '95…..it's never had a factory round through it! memtb
I have numerous rifles and handguns that have never seen a factory round, and some of them are well over 40 years old with a couple from the 1960's. I guess it is one reason I am now loading 52 various cartridges. A few of the rifles I bought the dies and components before I even had the rifles delivered.

I have numerous rifles and handguns that have never seen a factory round, and some of them are well over 40 years old with a couple from the 1960's. I guess it is one reason I am now loading 52 various cartridges. A few of the rifles I bought the dies and components before I even had the rifles delivered.

Same here…..and a few that have never seen a jacketed bullet! 😁 memtb

Honestly the only thing you'll reliably find over 30cal is 45-70. People just don't go to the range with much bigger than a 308win and they rarely hunt with anything bigger than a 300wm.
That what I took when I went to Alaska back in 1997 and 1998. 45-70 on the first trip and 30-06 on the second. Handloads for both, a 44 mag on the belt on both trips.

Here's a link to a really good article I read on this topic recently. I would agree with Tyler, the Author on his recommendations. Best of luck on your hunt sir!

My dad swore by the .243 but I like the 308. Hes gotten 15+ bulls with a .243 and a few 60 inchers. Just get a good bullet and make a good shot

Attachments

• IMG_2166.png
    IMG_2166.png
    241.8 KB · Views: 22
Of course you don't need a big bore to hunt Moose/Big Bears but if your hunting where the unexpected does happen or you loose your in a boat accident, the 375 is King. Elkman said it right, when hunting is some remote areas, there's always 375 HH or 338 WM ammo. It's hard to beat the 375.

Of course you don't need a big bore to hunt Moose/Big Bears but if your hunting where the unexpected does happen or you loose your in a boat accident, the 375 is King. Elkman said it right, when hunting is some remote areas, there's always 375 HH or 338 WM ammo. It's hard to beat the 375.
I'm not how it is elsewhere but in Alaska it is impossible to find 338 wm and 375 hh. I've seen 375 hh a few places for $120 a box

Recent Posts