Moose calibre?

In the ideal case based on my (Scandinavian) point of view and experience with (the huge) moose, you should use calibres between 8mm (323') and 9,3mm (366'). Due to terminal ballistics! For your purpose you should consider something like the 8mm RM (superb round), 338 (all of them), 35 Whelen and/or the 9,3x62, 9,3x64. gun)Good luck with your choice.

the good old '06 (308 Win also) is plenty for moose inside 200 yards, move up to the 300 WSM and 300 WinMag to extend the range a bit, the 300 WBY and 300 Rum are about perfect for moose with 180 gr, or even better 200 gr bullets ... the 30 cals seem to always drop the big bulls where they stand, In my experience the 7mms always involve numerous follow up shots and/or sometimes lengthy tracking and searching ordeals... nothing I hate more than having to pull moose out of a bog 1/2 mile further than where it was shot, I agree the 8mm Rem Mag is a **** fine moose cartridge, I have seen my brother dump plenty of big bulls and several brown bear with the Swift A Frame bullets... there is indeed something magical with the 8mm and moose.. the 7mm's ... not so much !

I'm working up loads now for an upcoming moose hunt. With a wide selection of rifles in the safe I opted for a 338 RUM which shoots exceptionally well and can put a lot of lead on a moose at any reasonable range.

Given your choices, I'd use the 7mm mag and a 175gr Partition (or similar) bullet. Truth be told, moose have been reliably taken with a lot less. As always, shot placement is more important than horsepower, but it's always nice to have both. :D

Sounds great friends lets keep this on track..
How many times have you had to send a follow up shot?
My Uncle who was from Canada gave me his old .35 Marlin 336sc when I was 12,
he had used it for Black bear, Moose, Deer, and even Caribou. and thats all he used.
I know its great for Deer.

I used to have 7mmRM with 180 gr. partition. It kicked hard, compared to 30-06. But hey, you shoot once or twice in moose season.

I'll go for 7mm because if the moose is across the large swamp, it will shoot a bit flatter than 06.

Sounds great friends lets keep this on track..
How many times have you had to send a follow up shot?
My Uncle who was from Canada gave me his old .35 Marlin 336sc when I was 12,
he had used it for Black bear, Moose, Deer, and even Caribou. and thats all he used.
I know its great for Deer.

The only time(S) I have had to deploy a follow-up shot was when my bullet didn't land where I wanted it too. Remember, lots of whitetail deer were killed with rifles greatly subpar to the 30-30 which, by todays standards, is a sissy... the .243 has way more power than the 30-30 and there are people who say its too small... With good shot placement, any of these rifles will give you the results you want.

I have always used my 300wm with 200gr Accubonds. Pure poison to animals.

This year i picked up a .375 H&H to try next time around