Moose calibre?

Discussion in 'How To Hunt Big Game' started by kc, Nov 10, 2013.

1. kc

kc Well-Known Member

Ok you ridge runners,, What caliber of rifle would recomend for Moose hunting?
    I have .3006 03A3s and Remington 7MM Mags in my safe.

2. matt_3479

matt_3479 Well-Known Member

The 30-06 or the 7mm is more then enough. Just make the shot count and use a good bullet!

3. Varberger757

Varberger757 Well-Known Member

In the ideal case based on my (Scandinavian) point of view and experience with (the huge) moose, you should use calibres between 8mm (323') and 9,3mm (366'). Due to terminal ballistics! For your purpose you should consider something like the 8mm RM (superb round), 338 (all of them), 35 Whelen and/or the 9,3x62, 9,3x64. gun)Good luck with your choice.

4. Swamplord

Swamplord Well-Known Member

the good old '06 (308 Win also) is plenty for moose inside 200 yards, move up to the 300 WSM and 300 WinMag to extend the range a bit, the 300 WBY and 300 Rum are about perfect for moose with 180 gr, or even better 200 gr bullets ... the 30 cals seem to always drop the big bulls where they stand, In my experience the 7mms always involve numerous follow up shots and/or sometimes lengthy tracking and searching ordeals... nothing I hate more than having to pull moose out of a bog 1/2 mile further than where it was shot, I agree the 8mm Rem Mag is a damn fine moose cartridge, I have seen my brother dump plenty of big bulls and several brown bear with the Swift A Frame bullets... there is indeed something magical with the 8mm and moose.. the 7mm's ... not so much !

5. Varberger757

Varberger757 Well-Known Member

I agree the 8mm Rem Mag is a damn fine moose cartridge, I have seen my brother dump plenty of big bulls and several brown bear with the Swift A Frame bullets... there is indeed something magical with the 8mm and moose[/QUOTE]

Thank you for this comment! :) It's a lovely, great round. gun)

6. sbhooper

sbhooper Banned

What you have will work fine. Just use a bullet that will penetrate well. Moose are not all that tough, but are big and you need lots of penetration to make sure you get the vitals.

7. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

I'm working up loads now for an upcoming moose hunt. With a wide selection of rifles in the safe I opted for a 338 RUM which shoots exceptionally well and can put a lot of lead on a moose at any reasonable range.

Given your choices, I'd use the 7mm mag and a 175gr Partition (or similar) bullet. Truth be told, moose have been reliably taken with a lot less. As always, shot placement is more important than horsepower, but it's always nice to have both. :D

8. 204tcAK

204tcAK Active Member

The '06 will do fine with 180 gr bullets and heavier. In the past, i've owned a rem 700 in an '06 and it got the job done. I recently picked up an old rem 721 and will have it rebarrled with a custom match '06 tube.

9. Rock 29

Rock 29 Well-Known Member

'06 with 180 Barnes or better yet 200 Nosler partition. The 200 grain partition load @ 2650 is a hammer, penetrates like a .338, just keep your shots at reasonable distance. Good luck!

10. kc

kc Well-Known Member

Sounds great friends lets keep this on track..
    How many times have you had to send a follow up shot?
    My Uncle who was from Canada gave me his old .35 Marlin 336sc when I was 12,
    he had used it for Black bear, Moose, Deer, and even Caribou. and thats all he used.
    I know its great for Deer.

11. No Fear in Accuracy

No Fear in Accuracy Well-Known Member

I used to have 7mmRM with 180 gr. partition. It kicked hard, compared to 30-06. But hey, you shoot once or twice in moose season.

I'll go for 7mm because if the moose is across the large swamp, it will shoot a bit flatter than 06.

12. Brewer

Brewer Well-Known Member

The only time(S) I have had to deploy a follow-up shot was when my bullet didn't land where I wanted it too. Remember, lots of whitetail deer were killed with rifles greatly subpar to the 30-30 which, by todays standards, is a sissy... the .243 has way more power than the 30-30 and there are people who say its too small... With good shot placement, any of these rifles will give you the results you want.

13. steep slope

steep slope Active Member

I shot a big cow moose at 350 yds with a 150grain balistic tip 270. She did not take one step. any gun will stop a animal . placement of the shot. confidence of your equipment

14. jpbaker

jpbaker Well-Known Member

I have always used my 300wm with 200gr Accubonds. Pure poison to animals.

This year i picked up a .375 H&H to try next time around