.270 For Moose?

The .270 Win with good bullets will work just fine! ( the old 150 partitions or the new accubonds are excellent.
Use broadside chest or neck shots, placing your shots accurately from standing or sitting positions or leaning against a tree. Avoid long range plinking, ( your outfitter probably will not allow you to do so anyway). Remember on many guided hunts nowadays, if you hit an animal and draw blood, even if you never recover it, your tag will be officially filled.
I never said it was not capable; I simply said it was not my choice as I have better chamberings suited for it, as clearly stated.

I have a .270 AI with the 30" barrel propeling 175 Matrix VLDs.

Another zombie thread.

Last edited:
I've killed the majority of my moose with a .300 WM and prefer this round. Moose can take hits and not show it much. I've done one shot drops and have had some that soaked up all 4 rounds ( 200 nosler partitions). The early moose I shot, I'd keep shooting till they went down. Later, I'd shoot then let them fall on their own (as long as the first shot was good) . Just less meat wasted. My wife shot two of her moose with a .270 with nosler partitions. One at about 400 and the other just over 400. That to me is the max. They both dropped, but I found the bullets on the far side against the hide. These were both still broadside shots. I like big guns because of those furry brown guys with big claws being around.

I have seen elk that, as I raised my rifle, I thought, my bullet (my gun, cartridge) is too small. And, I was tossing 180 grain Woodleighs, and, was 75 yards away. Neck shot? Shoulder and neck...oops...let him go.
Go 338 or so.

I have seen moose hit with a 375 H&H and never act like it was hit but then had and 11 year old boy kill a monster with a 25-06 Both heart shots. Both in full rut.That is why if you hunt with me you shoot until it drops

Yep - 270 will work great. A 150gr bullet and down it goes. Moose aren't that tough to kill. A 260 or 6.5x55 is plenty. Heck, a lot of moose are killed during the winter hunts off snow machines with .243s. However, for out of state folks hunting in the fall...... often there are bears that are not so wimpy where you find those moose - so going bigger has as much to do with them as to do with the moose - and if you wind up having a brownie that you can't see, huffing and popping his teeth at you from 20 feet away, through brush that is over your head then a 375 H&H is gonna seem small.
I reckon it would!!!!

Tons of moose and Alaskan game shot every year with 270s
Use a 140 grain, Nosler Ballistic Tip or, Partition, a 140 gr. Hornady SST, One of the 140grain "Hunting Version" Bergers and Blow, a huge Hole,..
thru his, Lungs !
Just be sure to wait, a couple of Minutes, before skinning,.. to be,.. Safe !

Last edited:
With the right bullet Partition or Grand Slam) and short placement/distance, it'll work.
Having taken many Alaska Moose, they are big, especially a mature bull.
I've seen them take several 338 win mag rounds to the boiler room before going down.
If that is all you have, is what you feel the most comfortable and confident shooting, are willing to keep your shots short distance, then it will work.
That said, although I have hunted and harvested a few elk with my 270, my preference is at least a 30 cal in a magnum (I hunt with a 300 WSM 190 bullets
for elk in most cases, but moose my go to is my 325 WSM with a 200gr bullet).
Hunting in AK or Canada means there is a chance you could run into a grizzly, and for me, I would want something bigger with heavier bullets, or at least have someone with me shooting something bigger.