.280 for Moose..??

Discussion in 'How To Hunt Big Game' started by Sully2, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Sully2

Sully2 Well-Known Member

I have a 25-06 that Im going to change out to a 280 Rem caliber. Throat so I can load slugs such as the 175 RN Hornaday out to get max powder capacity and my intent is to use this for MOOSE! and probably moose alone although a black bear may slip into the scope on occasion.

Will a 280 fulfill my needs or is it a pipe dream? Dont want some shoulder busting pachyderm killer just something to put an end to a large moose!

2. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

I think so. The round nose, heavy for caliber bullets, launched at moderate velocities have been getting done for a long time. I haven't used that particular one, but would have no qualms about it. The Nosler 175 partition is a good bullet in that class. A little tougher and a spitzer, but should meet your goals also.

3. Creedmoor shooter

Creedmoor shooter Well-Known Member

the 280 will serve that purpose well. my brother has a 280 and it will do just fine on anything on this continent (except maybe a grizzly).

4. wyowinchester

wyowinchester Well-Known Member

I've always been a strong advocate of PLACEMENT over POWER. The 280 will do the job. Choose the bullet wisely and break two ribs. In and out.

5. IDbound

IDbound Well-Known Member

Since you are re-chambering, make it a 280AI. I guarantee you won't regret the decision. Then you have power closer to that of a 7 mag.

6. Sully2

Sully2 Well-Known Member

Thats why I AM rechambering. An "AI" anything has nothing to give me.

7. sbhooper

sbhooper Banned

You don't need to shoot a round nose. Go to the 160 Partition or Accubond and you will have no problem.

8. 7MAGNUM

7MAGNUM Well-Known Member

I killed several moose while I lived in Alaska with a Ruger 77 280 and 160 partiotion it was all I had when I made the move it did very well kept my shots in the 200 and under range and it was more than effective

9. No Fear in Accuracy

No Fear in Accuracy Well-Known Member

280 is fine for moose. Try to keep the kinetic energy above 1500 to give a nice penetration.

10. Sully2

Sully2 Well-Known Member

Well...loaded with a double handsfull of H4831 I should be able to get about 2800 FPS which should give me a decent midrange velocity of at least 1500, seeing as how Id consider it a 300 yd moose gun.

11. 204tcAK

204tcAK Active Member

Bullet design is key in every caliber you hunt with. If you are reloading, many bullet manufactures have data in which they recommend a specific bullet matched with velocities for optimum performances for certain game categories. Lets say for instance, one wouldn't load a bullet designed for a 22 hornet with its thin walled jacket and push it thru a 220 swift and expect entry and exit wounds. The splat factor would be off the charts. Do the homework, select the bullet design specific for game you are hunting and optimum velocities which the firearm you choose and punch rounds down field at targets until you can hold some decent groups. Oh, when a moose is in your crosshairs, calm down, take deep breaths, hold steady and squeeze the trigger.

12. Sully2

Sully2 Well-Known Member

On the subject of bullets...Hornady has a 175 SP with a BC of .462.....and their 175 RN only has a BC of 285...?? With the same weight I can drive them the same speed out of the rifle...but it seems like the SP will have much more SMACK at target.!! What say you guys?

13. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

Nosler Partition 7mm 175grain BC is listed as .519. That's likely the direction I would go.

14. Sully2

Sully2 Well-Known Member

oooohhhh!! Thats getting right up there aint it?