Need advice on caliber for Moose and bear in Alaska.

Shot placement and comfort with your gun is more important than caliber size. If not used to large calibers, get a 30-06 and shoot, shoot, shoot. Pleanty big to knock down moose and all but the biggest bears.
If you can handle it, shoot something larger like a 300 win mag but again, shoot a lot. Don't buy a large caliber, shoot it twice and head up here. Lots of recoil with a 338 or 375. If not used to it, will be less likely to want to practice and less likely to make a proper shot placement when it might be offered.

Thanks fellas.

I haven't heard anything from Shane lately as to whether we are gunna get to go this year or not.

abreitzm- I agree. I'm kind of thinking of building a lightweight sporter in 338RUM. Load it with something like a nosler partition or maybe a TTSX. I know a member here who has one that he built... he said recoil is completely terrible... but it doesnt have a brake on it.

I'm looking to pick up a new rifle for a hunt scheduled at the end of august.

Im considering 338 RUM, 375RUM, 375 H&H, and 416 Rigby....

I want a larger bore rifle as long as it'll shoot pretty good to 300 yards I'm fine with it.

Funny you should ask.:) Came across this last night and read all 20 pages. I have been there and done that.

Poll: Your "all around" AK hunting rifle-caliber?

Good luck.

If you are flexible in your choice of bullet diameter give the 300 RUM a good look !
with 200 gr. Swift A-Frame bullets in factory loads or handloads it's more than enough out to 300 yards, quite possibly the best close to mid range moose/bear bullet in 30 Cal... IMO

Load up the 200 gr Accubond for shots past 300 yards and then you are also in business out to 500 yards...( & beyond if you are capable )

If you feel undergunned with a 300Rum in bear country bring along a 454 Casull or 500 S&W Mag revolver... wear it in a hip holster on your left side butt forward for quick access ...... just practice with your revolver A LOT and know how to use it !!!!!!!!!

I've been doing all of the above for many years on all of my solo moose hunts in Alaska and have always felt "bear tooth proof".....

Of course with common sense and caution bear encounters can be avoided,
but sometimes stuff does happen and the weight of a big chunk of iron on the hip feels really comforting !!

Precisely my thoughts.
Besides many guides will not let their customers shoot at dangerous game past 100yards.
Who do you think has to dig that wounded grizzly out of the alders? A well placed shot from an 06, 300 win mag or .338 Win will do just fine. In the Canadian Arctic I have never seen a local Inuit polar bear hunter with anything bigger then a 30-06. Only tourist hunters bring the elephant guns, evoking giggles and ridicule from local hunters. Polar bears hit in the heart lung area with a good 180 grain bullet die within 1.5 minutes with no fight left during that time.

I hope that after 10+ years that the OP had made a decision on his rifle chambering for his hunt and have success stories to share.
Haaaaaahahaha !

Love how these old threads pop up from time to time .....

I still stand by the 300 RUM with Aframes & Accubonds though .... lol

Happy New Year everybody !

I'm looking to pick up a new rifle for a hunt scheduled at the end of august.

Im considering 338 RUM, 375RUM, 375 H&H, and 416 Rigby....

I want a larger bore rifle as long as it'll shoot pretty good to 300 yards I'm fine with it.
Give a serious look to the 375 Ruger. WIth a max range of 300-400yds there's no reason to punish yourself with the Reecoil of the Rum or Rugby's and with equal bullets it gives you a 150-200fps gain over the H&H.

I've taken some very large critters with mine both here and in Africa and never had to put a second "finisher" in my target.

I have two but I have a custom built on a Model 70 action that has really become by "go to" rifle for just about everything inside of 300 yards bigger than a coyote.

Lived & hunted in Alaska years ago. 30-06 with 200 grain is more than enough for moose. You can easily get within 100 yards.
Brown bear on the other hand, the first time you/I see/saw one can be intimidating if you are even 100 yards away and they are looking at you. I wsn't hunting at that time...just driving around and still believe it could opened my vehicle like a can of sardines if it wanted to.
If they are closer (thay can move fast) I would opt for a heaver rifle than a 30-06. I still shudder thinking of one hunt in a cloud cover for brown bear with my 30-06 and 180 grain bullets.....happily it was an unsuccessful hunt. Thank God.

My 375 H&H with a 260 gr Partition will shot under 3 inches at 300 meters Have never shot some of the others so I can not help much on them

Last edited:
There was a time that I could only afford 1 rifle and hunt where and when I wanted....a custom built Dave Gentry pre-64 338 WM was my choice back in 1985....with Nosler 250 gr bullets it killed every walking North American animal that was shot with it "one shot one kill".....now I can afford what ever I want my only change is using Cutting Edge Bullets about 10 years ago first it was 175 gr. Raptor now 176 gr.....