Need a long range ballistic program.......

With a medium caliber such as the 308 with moderate velocity say 2550 you can have a BC error of about .040 and still hit the kill zone of a deer. You will need accurate pressure (altitude if you cant get pressure), temperature, velocity, scope height and angle of fire. If you enter correct air density, then 90% of the time using a rough estimate on your BC will get you fairly close at 600 and under. With a flatter shooting cartridge, it will be more forgiving.

Bear in mind I dont advocate trying to kill game with an unverified BC. The point in this thread is to show the limits of ballistic calculators without verifying data. Its that 10% that will cause a wounded loss. ALWAYS verify before attempting to harvest game.

hi
i was just wondering how far i would be out with a new round i will be developing in the next few weeks. just to get me on the paper with out putting up a large target.

Colin

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.