Need a long range ballistic program.......

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
To all,

Well, as alot of you know we just had an addition to our little family and I have been taking my night shift on the first half of the nights. Lots of thinking time until 2:00 in the morning!!!

Anyway, in that time I have been playing with my Exbal program and got to thinking. This spring I am looking to extend my live varmint kill past the 2500 yard range. Playing with the Exbal program I see that its extended ballistic tables extend to 2500 yards but no more.

Are there any ballistic programs out there that offer the quality of Exbal but with a max range over 3000 yards and a max zero range greater then 1000 yards?

Just curious, long time until spring but I was looking at Black Sunshine this morning and she looked pretty darn lonely sitting there on display in the shop. Got the mind thinking back to warm temps and fat rockchucks!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Cant help with the ballistics program Kirby,but I know exactly what you mean with the warm temps.We had temps in the mid 60s around the Black Hills last friday and saturday.......talk about getting spring fever a little early /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I can tell you right now that if it was to be a 3000 yard+ calculator and a zero range of over 1K, it would be a very specialized program that wouldnt work very well with low BC's, low velocities etc...Its hard to explain, but between the equasions I use and the program language, I can do dang near anything except make a good calculator that will do what you want and what we already have. I assume that is why what is out there, including mine is somewhat limited. However, one can be made to do what ever you want with in certain parameters.

Kirby,
Are you running Exbal on your desk top PC or your Pocket
PC? I don't have it for desk top PC. I was not able to
zero farther than 1000 yards on my pocket PC using Exbal, but I
was able by running the "Drop Table" and pressing the "DOWN"
button, up to what ever distances you want. I have no idea
how accurate it would be, probably meichele could tell us
something about it.

44jzgns.jpg

Yep, Eaglet was right. My exbal is in my HP Pocket PC and I had forgotten that you can scroll down beyond 2500.

Mine on the PC goes as far as you care to go. To be honest I haven't tried to get that far on my Palm. Don't know if it will or not.

I have Exbal on a palm and it will only scroll down to 2500 yards using the down button as you mentioned?????

That was set on the 25 yard increments!! Luckily my wife is alot smarter then I am and she found that if I switch to the 50 yard increment it will allow me to reach out to an even 3000 yards but thats it.

The Palm version and the pocket PC version must be slightly different.

Can you zero past 1000 yards with the pocket PC version?

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,

[ QUOTE ]
Can you zero past 1000 yards with the pocket PC version?

[/ QUOTE ]

No... 1000 yards is max.

OK!
This wasn't easy, but here we go!
I Zeroed at 2000 yards and ran it to 4000 yards using
100 increments. I used 1 yard increments and it calculated
it to 4000 yards but it took a good while. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It will zero to all the ranges I tried.
You may dowload a Demo from
Recreational Sofware, Inc.

The program is $99.95 if you want it after a 30 day demo.

I better hit the sack! 1:45 AM /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

4gdnais.jpg
4gqlksl.jpg

For 'its and grins I ran the same parameters on Sierra Infinity Suite.

300am.jpg

Definitely some differences in calculations.
I think I got the same parameters entered.
I used .950 for all velocity boundaries.
Sierra's fugures are much more optimistic.

RSI defaults the pressure to the standard at the altitude you select and shows this on the drop chart. If you were to enter the default pressure for 0' according to Sierra (either 29.92 or 29.53) you will see a much closer match). Or enter 0' and 24.52 and you will see this same match.

This is why the reloaders archive is set up so that it cannot be screwed up. If you use raw pressure, you DO NOT get the option to change the altitude to anything except 0'

457582.JPG

457583.JPG

457584.JPG

You can see that depending on what you select, things dissapear and reappear and the values of anything that dissapears change to a default such as 0' for raw pressure and 29.92 if you select altitude but dont know the area pressure or you can choose between actual altitude and area pressure (not raw pressure). It spells it out for shooters. I know there was a time I didnt know the differance and came up with faulty ballistics many times.

Also, below is the latest progress.

457587-big.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.