Need A Long Range 6.5 Caliber

CaptnC

Use of new build/rifle will be non competition steel and paper...fun gun...but could go into the woods if the right location pops up. The range I shoot at the most is 600 yards, but I have a friend that lives fairly close that has a spot we can shoot to nearly 1500 yards.

I know there will never be a 3K or 4K+ custom built rifle in my safe...but I would like to have a rifle that shoot well enough people think it cost that much! LOL

I know there is a ton of factors that go into making a choice on caliber so here is my caliber criteria;

Manageable recoil
Cost effective to shoot...brass biggest concern
Shoot more like a lazer than artillery shot

Now the rifle end...I'm going to use a LA Flat Back Savage receiver. They are very inexpensive and there plenty around the Houston area. Barrel, going to try to build this my self so the barrel will need to be a Savage pre-fit at least .850 at the muzzle, 1:8 twist and I prefer stainless. I'm in no real rush so I can save up to get the best bang for buck on the barrel. Most likely use a Choate stock because they are inside my price range. Scope will be SWFA, most likely fixed power...again staying within my budget. The bulk of the money will be in a barrel I think...

Back to the caliber...is there really, staying with the 6.5, a more accurate chambering? Is the 6.5x284 the most accurate 6.5 caliber out there? I want to utilize the LA so I'm not planning to do a 6.5 Creedmore even though I already have 200 pieces of brass...ok I might still but I really prefer something a little faster, but don't want it to be a powder hog like a 26 Nosler.

I like to keep the components on the reasonable side too...being cheap I tend to want to go with one of my existing calibers 6.5-06 or 264wm, but the dies really are a one time purchase. So I'm still open to something I don't already have.

Topics of discussion are caliber and who's Savage pre-fit barrel????

Criterion. That's what my savage wears and its awesome. Sounds like your looking for something that hits with the speed and subtlety of thors hammer...... I'd vote 6.5 SAUM or possibly the new 6.5 prc

If you are already set up for 6.5-06 I would stick with that. There isn't much difference between it and the 284. And it is, as you know, stupid easy to find brass and reload for.

I would choose the 6.5-06 also in your case. If you can get a 26" or longer barrel I would.

I shoot a 6.5-06imp 29" barrel shooting 142's at 3100ish in 1000yd BR comp. The standard 6.5-06 might not be what all the cool kids are shooting these days but i guarantee you it will do everything you will be asking of it. Best of luck with it all...........:cool:

Criterion for sure , use any of the 6.5s you want , they all work well. I run a 6.5x284 , Lapua brass and enough velocity with 140's to turn away most others.

For manageable recoil and inherent accuracy in a 6.5 I would pick the 6.5x47 lapua. It is super easy to load really accurate for and there is very good info on the accurate shooter website about it. It doesn't utilize a long action because it was designed for magazine feeding from a short. It will however be cheaper to shoot than the others because you will use less power. It your goal is just to shoot 1500yds you can do it with the 6.5x47. I would buy a bartlein or other high end cut rifled barrel and have it chambered by a gunsmith instead of buying a prechambered blank from the bargain priced barrel sellers.

....why not consider a 7mm? 180 gr bullets have some serious high Bc better than a 6.5

Well you sure can ruins a guys day...I had a .280 that I lost in a divorce, but still have the dies and some brass. I already have two 7mm RM and of course the dies for it too...

I want to stay on the standard bolt face and want to stay with soomething that will feed fine out of the .270 or 30-06 mag well...I know where one of each is that I can get for $200.00 from a pawn shop. So 7mag is out...runs more powder too!

I really like the 264wm. I don't have a break on the one I just finished in time for deer season. I can shoot it free recoil without it hitting me in the face so I know it is not a heavy hitter, but we are back to magnum powder charges and I don't want to feed it quite that much...

I know nothing about the SS calibers, so that will need some research...but dies and brass costs might come into pay...pre-fit barrel is most likely not available too. I'm not sure about the bolt face too...feed issues.

Looks like I.m back to 6.5-06 (high on list) or 6.5x284 with the 280 possible...I just don't think there is anything else in their class!

Well you sure can ruins a guys day...I had a .280 that I lost in a divorce, but still have the dies and some brass. I already have two 7mm RM and of course the dies for it too...

I want to stay on the standard bolt face and want to stay with soomething that will feed fine out of the .270 or 30-06 mag well...I know where one of each is that I can get for $200.00 from a pawn shop. So 7mag is out...runs more powder too!

I really like the 264wm. I don't have a break on the one I just finished in time for deer season. I can shoot it free recoil without it hitting me in the face so I know it is not a heavy hitter, but we are back to magnum powder charges and I don't want to feed it quite that much...

I know nothing about the SS calibers, so that will need some research...but dies and brass costs might come into pay...pre-fit barrel is most likely not available too. I'm not sure about the bolt face too...feed issues.

Looks like I.m back to 6.5-06 (high on list) or 6.5x284 with the 280 possible...I just don't think there is anything else in their class!
.280 Sherman fits your desired characteristics. And can push a 180 faster than any other standard bolt face cartridge out there.

6.5-06, you have the tools for it. I'd be more concerned with twist rate, than the name on the barrel. Set yourself to take advantage of the heavier Berger, or mono bullets out there.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.