Wife’s long range caliber

codym

My wife has recently got into long range shooting. I built her a 6br on a bh origin in an xlr carbon chassis. She shoots every weekend and is making first round cold bore hits on a full size ipsc at 1000 regularly. She wants to deer hunt and I think she is capable of making 6-800 yard shots on deer sized game under the correct conditions. I want to get a short (20-22) carbon shouldered prefit for her origin. Weight is a big issue as we backpack hunt. I've been considering a 6.5 saum, 6.5 PRC, 260/260AI 243/243AI. I have a mag bolt face so no issues switching for this purpose. What do you all think?

My wife killed her first deer with a 260 yesterday. Not long range (we will be working on that for next year) but it was DRT. Very minimal recoil in a lightweight rifle. You might go it an AI for a bit more punch without upping the recoil significantly. 800 might be pushing it a bit, but on deer with quality bullets I think you would be fine. In my opinion 243 is too small for long range on deer, but I know guys who have used it successfully. But you won't go up noticeably in weight to a 260, in fact you might drop a cats whisker due to the bigger hole drilled down the barrel.

I like the idea of a 6.5 I'm just wondering if going with the SA mags or ackley will be a waste with the shorter barrel.

Yeah, deer are soft but even with deer....past 600 id like my bullets to have magnum velocities and weight over 200 gr., or as least more than 150 gr.

If you're going with a carbon fiber barrel, why the concern with staying at 20-22". The weight difference between a CF 20 and 24" is only 5 oz according to Proof's web specs. even a 26" sendero light is 3lbs 2 oz and a 20" is 2lbs 10oz, so that's only an 8oz increase and you will get the full use from the powder in any of the cases you are looking at. I'm sure there is somewhere 5-8oz could be shifted to make up the difference.

My wife hunts regularly with my 6.5x47, but she also loves my custom Sendero II copy in 264WM on occasion.
The 6.5x47 has very little recoil, stats similar to the Creedmoor.
The SAUM has similar recoil to WM, have used both side by side, hardly any noticeable difference.
my wife's limit is the 270 Weatherby, she has used a 300WM, but definitely didn't like it.

I guess what I'm saying is you don't want to induce a flinch, very hard to overcome once developed.
My choice would be 6.5 Lapua/Creed/260 or 260AI as max.

Cheers.

I thought this was pretty specific to a SA with a shorter barrel, smaller stature person with weight restriction and a max range. I have plenty of long action magnum rifles, but they are not "her" rifle. I have no experience with these calibers in a short barreled platform. Not sure what I can reasonably expect from these calibers or maybe there's something out there that make more sense in that platform or maybe I would need to reduce her max range. I was going shorter for ease of packing and making it easier to manipulate but I agree not much weight is saved with 2 inches on a carbon barrel. That is most likely the best option.

I just shot my whitetail this morning at 620yds with a 6.5cm so any that you listed will have enough umph.
He dropped right where I shot him.
I have a 26" tube and push the 143eldx at 2740fps

I thought this was pretty specific to a SA with a shorter barrel, smaller stature person with weight restriction and a max range. I have plenty of long action magnum rifles, but they are not "her" rifle. I have no experience with these calibers in a short barreled platform. Not sure what I can reasonably expect from these calibers or maybe there's something out there that make more sense in that platform or maybe I would need to reduce her max range. I was going shorter for ease of packing and making it easier to manipulate but I agree not much weight is saved with 2 inches on a carbon barrel. That is most likely the best option.
To be honest, I'd go with a 6.5 CM with store bought ammo then reload the brass. That'll do just fine on any deer. Low cost of entry. If you want to go fancy, I say get on the waitlist for 200 pieces of ADG 6.5 Saum brass and once you've got brass in hand I'd have that spun up. The recoil is noticeably less than my 7 mag and slightly more stout than my 260.

20" 6.5 creedmoor
Alpha SRP brass
42.3 rl16
Fed 205m
140 eld-m
2760fps

20" barrel is pretty nice when hiking through creek bottom with it strapped to my pack.

I would do a 7mm-08 AI with at least a 24" barrel, has a little more punch than the smaller cartridges, and even if you go with a 6.5 CM or a 260 I would still keep it at least a 24", you'll need it to go for 600 yds shots. I definitely understand you wife wanting something light but some things you can't cut short.

My wife is 120 lbs and her 7mm-08 has a 24" and weights around 8 lbs and she has no problem carrying it up and down steep hills, with the 139gr SST its a fast killer out to 600m.

Hope this helps

I'd go 6mm or 6.5 and creedmoor or 243/260. My wife is small and doesn't like recoil at all. She shot this rifle at 950 for the first time and put 3 inside MOA and dead nuts on target. It is a lighter rifle and runs a 140 eld on a hot load at 2800. Prior to this rifle she shot my 243 and enjoyed it too, maybe a little more. She didn't care too much for my 6.5-284 and therefore I don't expect her to care for the 6.5 PRC. The PRC has a little bite to it and I know her pretty well. She won't want to shoot it much if at all. So in the end my vote is stick with the smaller cartridge and short barrel, she'll maintain a high level of comfort behind the rifle

IMG_7243.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.