need help 7mm08 for long range hunting caliber??

Elkwonder

Ok guys here is the deal, I was talking to someone about loading today for my 270 wsm and was schooled pretty quikly about its performance. I was talking to a guy that said he uses his 7mm08 for everytghing up to elk. I came home and ran the numbers through the bergers website, and was floored. Turns out that the 08 is a very sick round for no more powder than it uses. I ran the 270 mag with berger 150 because thats the best bc. I ran it at 2900fps. I ran the 08 at 2600 fps with the 168 grain because of its bc. Inside of 500 yards the 270 wins, but beyond that the 08 starts pulling ahead. At 1000 yards the 08 has more knock down, and less wind drift. IT does have about 50 inches more drop, but that is made up for with dialing the scope. AM I missing something here? I am new to this and If my figures are right, it looks like the 7mm08 is actually just as good a round at longer distances and kicks about half as much. Can anyone comment on this as I am looking at the 08 and beginning to want one, my 270 wsm kicks a little harder than I like. By the way, the rifle will be used mainly for whitetails in the beanfields here in missouri, andthe occasional muley and elk once in a while. Thanks for helping a newby.

I say 284 winchester, it has the capacity to move that .617bc 168grn vld at about 3025fps from a heavyish 26" 9.5 twist barrel and less recoil than your short mag. It will alway make a 7mm-08 look back and is stepping on 7mm rem mag toes with half the recoil! Just a thought, an ackley 280 will have similar results but brass cost more or you have to form it and it kicks a tid bit harder.

I like the 140 accubond in my 270 wsm however I'm pushing it at 3425 fps over my ohler chrono. The small case of the 7mm-08 won't hang with the extra velocity of the wsm for as far as I should really be shooting either of the cartridges at game.

I think 2900 out of a 270 wsm case is a little on the low side. It sounds like the guy talking to you on this might have been a little bias. The 7mm-08 is a good little round but not what a 270 wsm is.

I say 284 winchester, it has the capacity to move that .617bc 168grn vld at about 3025fps from a heavyish 26" 9.5 twist barrel and less recoil than your short mag. It will alway make a 7mm-08 look back and is stepping on 7mm rem mag toes with half the recoil! Just a thought, an ackley 280 will have similar results but brass cost more or you have to form it and it kicks a tid bit harder.

wouldnt the 264 win mag kick the same or harder than the 270wsm if they were both loaded with 140's?

no they wouldn't be much different, but I did not miss print a 284 win is not a magnum its the parent case for a 6.5x284 its only a 2.170" case with a standard boltface but when loaded in a long throat on a long action it really shines, it is a 7mm and will shoot the identical bullets that guy was refering to much faster than the 7mm-08 could ever dream of.

The WSM stomps the 7mm-08 inside 1000yrds and the 08 never catches it but comes within a 100yrds right at transonic at 1500yrds!!! I run the 140 Accubond at 3341, the 150 Berger should run about 3150-3200ish in the WSM which have very close ballistics to the 140 Accubond. So inside any hunting range the WSM is clearly better if loaded to WSM capabilities. Run the numbers on a .277 169.5 gr Wildcat with a .740 BC at 2950 fps :D
He might have a case with a 270 Win but not with a WSM gun)

His wsm is a 10 twist those wildcats should be put through a 8.5 or 9 twist.

I've talked to a couple guys running them out of 1-10 twists very nicely so I always consider them a possibility but have barrels in place to test for myself when the are in production, however I have not yet ran them so this is second hand info. With the Wildcat's the 270 WSM will out run all but the largest 7mm's, with normal bullets it holds it's own very well but will flat out leave a 7m-08.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.