"Need" a large caliber

Here's rifle that will fill your needs. You could probably find someone here that will reload for you for the cost of components and their time. If you should order this from Len (owner of this sight), he could probably find a load for the rifle he sells you, and give you the information to pass on to someone who can load it for you.

338 Edge

This caliber will work for you all the way out to around 1200 yards. I would specify that you want to use the Berger 300 grain bullet. It will be all the rifle you need for years.

lightbulbDon't forget!! Brian Litz of Berger fame (& Applied Ballistics) is offering 338 Edge loaded ammo...... food for thought.:rolleyes:

Products

If you reload or start reloading: the 338 edge in fresh brass is about $2.20 a pop and about $1.20 a pop for each additional shot recycling that same brass. You can not even buy lapua brass for that let alone load ammo. 338 edge has a wealth of info available and is a proven performer on par with the lapua mag in every respect but brass life. And it can run in a standard rem or savage.

Awesome, thnaks for the info. I have been looking at all of the suggestions thrown out there...wow deciscions decisions. I have had problems with reading the posts on this site which is why I have not continued the thread, seems to be working fine today?

Anyway, I think I am interested in a lighter version of the 338LM, Edge, or RUM. I welcome any more suggestions on rifles to purchase and what sdpecific parts have worked well for you to get the rifle lighter as well as accurate. In the meantime, I am researching!!

Thanks!!

-J

Gosh, the Savage 110FCP-K/HS in the 338LM sure seems to have some great features at a beginners price range. The weight may be an issue at 10.7 lbs for my use, but it still seems on the lighter side for the caliber?

Two questions:

Stock barrel with brake....do I need a custom barrel? Can I get away with hunting this thing up to 6-800 yards with good ammo? I am going to assum the performance of the stock brake is similar to an aftermarket like the Fat Bastard?

Stocks...does anyone have any experience with replacing the stock on this rifle and if so, what were the model(s) you used?

Thanks again...

J

Gosh, the Savage 110FCP-K/HS in the 338LM sure seems to have some great features at a beginners price range. The weight may be an issue at 10.7 lbs for my use, but it still seems on the lighter side for the caliber?

Two questions:

Stock barrel with brake....do I need a custom barrel? Can I get away with hunting this thing up to 6-800 yards with good ammo? I am going to assum the performance of the stock brake is similar to an aftermarket like the Fat Bastard?

Stocks...does anyone have any experience with replacing the stock on this rifle and if so, what were the model(s) you used?

Thanks again...

J

1. You not going to want to get rid of the stock. It is an H-S which is a very good stock.
2. The barrel and performance should be fine. You won't know until you try it.
3. Can't go wrong. You find the right ammo and you be able to go further than 800yds. That is a warm up for that caliber.
4. From what I've heard, the break is more than ample for the .338LM.

Weatherby,makes 2 models of 338LA, that are lighter than that . Look at their site and gunbroker type for price

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.