large 22 caliber

TheFishBox

I have some questions regarding the larger 22 caliber cartridges, with a 90 grain berger. what kind of velocities can you push this bullet too? What kind of barrel life are you getting?

I am really thinking about making a 22-243 win for a light recoil long range yote gun. Are there any real disadvantages to these high speed 22

I have some questions regarding the larger 22 caliber cartridges, with a 90 grain berger. what kind of velocities can you push this bullet too? What kind of barrel life are you getting?

I am really thinking about making a 22-243 win for a light recoil long range yote gun. Are there any real disadvantages to these high speed 22

I've put a few through a .22 250 A.I 1-7 twist they worked great at 2900 to 3000 fps I'm sure they could be pushed faster'.., but... it might start taking a copper and lead bullet apart??? perhaps not. With that said: a 90 gr at say 2900 fps for Yotes should works just fine, why out there!
Cheer's

A 22-243 8" twist will do what you want at any practical distance. I used this load to kill groundhogs out to 1,000 yds with no problem at all.
7247600yd_group2.JPG

fastest 22 centerfire is a .224 Vias. A .224 Jaybird will push an 80 grain bullet right at 3400fps. A .223WSM is about as fast as the Jaybird, but with an oddball case. The Jaybird is pretty much the same as a 22/.243, but with a 35 degree shoulder and a .300" neck length. It'll have much better throat life than the 22/.243 and the other overbore 22's.
gary

The only thing about the 223 size bullets is that for some reason, it seems easier to get 6mm with higher BC, probably due to the competitions.

Another possible path is to stay with the .243 and use machined copper or brass bullets (example GS custom or Cutting edge). That has the potential to lighten up the bullet (for MV), get the high BC of 6mm, and the banded bullets appear to have less barrel wear than a normal jacketed bullet.

Where I live we are sort of stuck with the no lead bullets, so I have spent a lot of time reading about them rather than the Bergers, so I can't really comment on which one would end up on top.

Myself and a friend had 22-284's built. We shoot the 80 grain Berger at 3550-3600 fps. Very fun gun to shoot. Almost no recoil and tiny little groups. Only downfall is probably barrel life; but we don't get them hot. 55 grains of R25 or VV N570 is what works for us.

The fastest 22 that I know of is a 22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer. It shoots a 50 grain at 4600. Roy Weatherby played with a 22 sabot in a 378 case for the military and I believe he reched 5000 feet a second. Seems the army wanted a shoulder fired weapon capable of 5000 fps. Matt

The fastest 22 that I know of is a 22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer. It shoots a 50 grain at 4600. Roy Weatherby played with a 22 sabot in a 378 case for the military and I believe he reched 5000 feet a second. Seems the army wanted a shoulder fired weapon capable of 5000 fps. Matt

actually that was a NASA project (22/378).

The 6mm Vias (same basic case as the .224 Vias) will push a 70 grain bullet to 4200+fps. I know of no test shots with a 50 grain bullet, but do know that it will push 75 grain bullet (.224) close to 3900fps without even beginning to get into high pressure. (probably 4100fps max). Yet I'd rather have a big six than the .22.
gary

can anyone point me in the direction of a smith that has a 22-243 reamer and that will do just a barreled action?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.