Need 1st hand 270win info

Personally…..I much prefer a heavier bullet, when using conventional cup and core bullets.

Years ago, when my wife was using a 270 Win. and Nosler Partitions were the "Gold Standard" for bullets, we were loading 150 Partitions to 2950 mv.

Since that time, when loading for my daughter, we went with a mono…..the Barnes 140 grain 140 TSX. memtb
I had looked at the TSX as I have some that does well in other stuff, but in 270 it's high everywhere I look🤑

Hello all. I'm scoping my Rem700 long range model(I wanted a heavy barrel), and would like to ask the knowledgeable community what max ranges would allow for an ethical/clean shot on elk, deer and hogs. People on other forums swear the 270win will comfortably take a deer past 500 yards, while others wouldn't trust it past 400. It's my first 270win, so I'm new to the whole cartridge. I found some Norma Evo-Strike 96gr on sale for $19 a box online and ordered/received it, but I assume it'll be good for coyotes, or anything smaller than a deer. I've heard 130gr is pretty much the gold standard for the chambering, but as always, I prefer first hand accounts.

MANY Thanks in advance!

Edit: If I could get preferred bullet weights/types for the aforementioned game, that will also be awesome.
The .270 is a butt-kicking cartridge!

For factory ammo for all game at all feasible ranges, if your gun likes them, it's gonna be really hard to beat the federal trophy bonded tip or terminal ascent bullets.

For factory ammo for all game at all feasible ranges, if your gun likes them, it's gonna be really hard to beat the federal trophy bonded tip or terminal ascent bullets.
Thanks for the info. I've been trying to find some hollow points too, but not having much luck

A fellow I work with is a "one gun hunter" and from numerous great outcomes on elk, moose, bear, and deer is convinced that the .30-06 with a 165 trophy bonded tip is God's perfect ballistic creation haha 🤣

A fellow I work with is a "one gun hunter" and from numerous great outcomes on elk, moose, bear, and deer is convinced that the .30-06 with a 165 trophy bonded tip is God's perfect ballistic creation haha 🤣
Could be. A friend told me to go 06 instead of 270, but I thought back to the obama/C19 years when more common calibers were hard to find. The stores I visited always had 270(some 243) and some for my .40SW😁 Seems like it kinda falls into a obscure, yet mostly common category...

Hello all. I'm scoping my Rem700 long range model(I wanted a heavy barrel), and would like to ask the knowledgeable community what max ranges would allow for an ethical/clean shot on elk, deer and hogs. People on other forums swear the 270win will comfortably take a deer past 500 yards, while others wouldn't trust it past 400. It's my first 270win, so I'm new to the whole cartridge. I found some Norma Evo-Strike 96gr on sale for $19 a box online and ordered/received it, but I assume it'll be good for coyotes, or anything smaller than a deer. I've heard 130gr is pretty much the gold standard for the chambering, but as always, I prefer first hand accounts.

MANY Thanks in advance!

Edit: If I could get preferred bullet weights/types for the aforementioned game, that will also be awesome.

Over the decades, I, and many others, have used the 140 NAB and Hornady along with various 150 BTSP well beyond the 500 yd mark with good success.

Could be. A friend told me to go 06 instead of 270, but I thought back to the obama/C19 years when more common calibers were hard to find. The stores I visited always had 270(some 243) and some for my .40SW😁 Seems like it kinda falls into a obscure, yet mostly common category...
I love the .270. Bypassed the .30-06 in favour of a .300 win mag as I felt there wasn't that big of a performance difference between the .270 and .30-06 to justify getting either one if you had the other.

270 Winchester was my first centerfire rifle. I was fixing to get a .30-06 but the cabelas my mom and dad went to to get me my first big game rifle as a gift after I got my first deer with a neighbours borrowed .30-06 when I was 12 or 13 didn't have any of the savage 111 package guns left in .30-06 and that was what they could afford. We weren't leaving empty handed and I "settled" on the .270. No regrets. It's awesome.

Basic hornady interlock soft points are great performers on deer. 130 or 150 grain.

MANY Thanks in advance!

Wow is it okay to ask where you found Norma 96gr Evo-strike for 19.00
Thanks

Wow is it okay to ask where you found Norma 96gr Evo-strike for 19.00
Thanks
Don't know if posting links violations anything here, but there ya go.

Edit: Shipping is reasonable too to any interested👍

Last edited:
Y'all are killing me! I already had a bit of an itch to pull out my old 270 at some point this coming hunting season. Guess I better put some quality glass on her. The last load I worked up for it were some 150ALBR @ 2900 that shot great and a far cry from the old soft lead nose 130s my hunting mentor sent me out into the woods with (but got the job done!)

Y'all are killing me! I already had a bit of an itch to pull out my old 270 at some point this coming hunting season. Guess I better put some quality glass on her. The last load I worked up for it were some 150ALBR @ 2900 that shot great and a far cry from the old soft lead nose 130s my hunting mentor sent me out into the woods with (but got the job done!)
At NO point in my life have I EVER claimed a good influence. Good luck with your hunt(s)!