Need 1st hand 270win info

archanfire

Hello all. I'm scoping my Rem700 long range model(I wanted a heavy barrel), and would like to ask the knowledgeable community what max ranges would allow for an ethical/clean shot on elk, deer and hogs. People on other forums swear the 270win will comfortably take a deer past 500 yards, while others wouldn't trust it past 400. It's my first 270win, so I'm new to the whole cartridge. I found some Norma Evo-Strike 96gr on sale for $19 a box online and ordered/received it, but I assume it'll be good for coyotes, or anything smaller than a deer. I've heard 130gr is pretty much the gold standard for the chambering, but as always, I prefer first hand accounts.

MANY Thanks in advance!

Edit: If I could get preferred bullet weights/types for the aforementioned game, that will also be awesome.

140 AB work great for me on deer, bear or elk out to 500+
Hmmm, never considered bear(didn't think the round had enough oomf for something like that), but around here they aren't a concern. Good info to have nonetheless as I may pick some up for tougher critters.

At 500yd+/-, do you think 270 is too weak for an elk? I'm sure in the end it's all about bullet type and placement, but I'm trying to keep it as clean as possible. If I need to keep things inside 500, I'm fine with it, I just like to know good baseline of limitations. Thanks

Hello all. I'm scoping my Rem700 long range model(I wanted a heavy barrel), and would like to ask the knowledgeable community what max ranges would allow for an ethical/clean shot on elk, deer and hogs. People on other forums swear the 270win will comfortably take a deer past 500 yards, while others wouldn't trust it past 400. It's my first 270win, so I'm new to the whole cartridge. I found some Norma Evo-Strike 96gr on sale for $19 a box online and ordered/received it, but I assume it'll be good for coyotes, or anything smaller than a deer. I've heard 130gr is pretty much the gold standard for the chambering, but as always, I prefer first hand accounts.

MANY Thanks in advance!

Edit: If I could get preferred bullet weights/types for the aforementioned game, that will also be awesome.
Hmmm, never considered bear(didn't think the round had enough oomf for something like that), but around here they aren't a concern. Good info to have nonetheless as I may pick some up for tougher critters.

At 500yd+/-, do you think 270 is too weak for an elk? I'm sure in the end it's all about bullet type and placement, but I'm trying to keep it as clean as possible. If I need to keep things inside 500, I'm fine with it, I just like to know good baseline of limitations. Thanks
The ethics of hunting and capability of the rifle/load combination comes from the NUT behind the trigger.

The 130g is the norm (or most available) for the .270s in the past. Because of faster barrel twists, heavier/longer bullets like Berger 170 have re-defined the potential of JOC's beloved .270 Win. My .270 AI has a 30" Lilja 1:8" 3G #6 barrel specifically built to propel the 165/175 Matrix. My current accuracy load for the 175 Matrix is 2996 FPS. Yes, my setup is capable of well beyond 500Y for elk.
I recommend a re-barrel, which is faster than the minimum recommended barrel twist for the bullet you will use.

When I moved to Montana I became friends with a man 27 years older than me and he used a 270 with 150 gr Nosler Partitions and later could not find them anymore and moved to the Nosler 150 gr Accubond.We both reloaded so our options were wide open.If you don't reload your options are restricted to off the shelf ammo.
I have seen him take shots at 300 to 600 yards across canyons and rarely had to shoot twice.
I only own 1 270 now but would not feel handicapped with a 150 gr Accubond at any game here in Montana at a reasonable distance.

The ethics of hunting and capability of the rifle/load combination comes from the NUT behind the trigger.
Agreed. I don't want something to suffer due to poor knowledge/judgement on my part is why I'm asking. Thanks for the info. If I'm ever in need of a re-barrel, I may go the AI route to diversify my options a bit

When I moved to Montana I became friends with a man 27 years older than me and he used a 270 with 150 gr Nosler Partitions and later could not find them anymore and moved to the Nosler 150 gr Accubond.We both reloaded so our options were wide open.If you don't reload your options are restricted to off the shelf ammo.
I have seen him take shots at 300 to 600 yards across canyons and rarely had to shoot twice.
I only own 1 270 now but would not feel handicapped with a 150 gr Accubond at any game here in Montana at a reasonable distance.
Good to know. May I ask what game he was after at that distance? Montana is beautiful(at least the part I visited was), but I wouldn't want to be there in the winter!

Here you go.

Data calculated from JBM Ballistics. Velocity is 50 fps faster than upper end load data from Hodgdon/Nosler website for 24" barrel to account for 26" barrel on Rem 700 LR. Atmosphere is standard pressure (29.92 inHg) at 1000' elevation, 50° F, 50% humidity.

270 Win Velocity.jpg

270 Win Energy.jpg

The energy markers are my "rules of thumb" for elk, so for smaller beasts you might get away with less.

I would not accept a lower velocity though. Regardless of whether it's a rhinoceros or a coyote, I'd want to ensure velocity was high enough to upset the bullet and provide expansion.

Also, for tougher bullets like the regular Accubond, Barnes monometals, etc, even 2000 fps might be a little slow for good expansion. I'd personally set my limit at 2100 fps for those types of projectiles.

Regardless, I think you'd still be quite safe shooting deer/hogs at 500 yards with just about any quality hunting bullet in a 270 Win.

For elk, 500 yards would put you right at the ragged edge of "wise" IMO.

EDIT TO ADD: This all assumes you can hit a 10" circle at 500 yards or less. No amount of horsepower can make up for a bad shot.

I grew up in Montana and learned to love the 270 ballistics for cross canyon critters where the distances can get out there... Used to use 150 Partitions when strictly after elk back then, but I have switched over to the 140 AB for all around hunting these days... As you say it depends on shot placement and learning your rifle and what it's capable of with you behind the trigger... Best of luck to you. Enjoy your new rifle 🍻

I grew up in Montana and learned to love the 270 ballistics for cross canyon critters where the distances can get out there... Used to use 150 Partitions when strictly after elk back then, but I have switched over to the 140 AB for all around hunting these days... As you say it depends on shot placement and learning your rifle and what it's capable of with you behind the trigger... Best of luck to you. Enjoy your new rifle 🍻
Thanks, gonna try to enjoy it! I've got everything but the top rail for it. Hopefully next week it'll get some outdoor time👍

Got my Granddaughter a Savage 110 Ultralite in 270win. So far she has two one shot kills. A Blackbuck at 295yds and a Mullie at 427yds. Using factory Ammunition. HSM 130/150 g Berger vld-h. 500yds is a given, 600 depends on the shooter.

MANY Thanks in advance!

Personally…..I much prefer a heavier bullet, when using conventional cup and core bullets.

Years ago, when my wife was using a 270 Win. and Nosler Partitions were the "Gold Standard" for bullets, we were loading 150 Partitions to 2950 mv.

Since that time, when loading for my daughter, we went with a mono…..the Barnes 140 grain 140 TSX. memtb