Need info on Jewel trigger

Ian M

I believe there was mention about improving the operation of Jewel triggers with different springs or something. Anybody got any knowledge on making the trigger more consistent at 2.5 pounds. Have one that is acting-up, wants to let some creep slip in when we go to 2.5 lbs. Just had a gunsmith who knows triggers work on it, darn thing wants to change just a tad when we put on 2.5 pounds. This is out of the stock, same in the stock. Realistically it is good, but not superb which is why I would go to a Jewel. Creep is just a bit too much, overtravel and weight of pull are fine.
Any comments?
ps - I tried the SEARCH, came up with zippo but that was probably more related to my inability to make this evil device work.

which Jewell do you have ? the HVR I would assume ....

Their A spring is for 8 oz to 48 oz, which must be the spring you are using.

B is 2 oz to 16 oz
C is 1.5 oz to 3 oz

To me, it sounds like you need to adjust the #1 screw, or the most forward screw.

1. Make sure your rifle is unloaded....
2. Cock action, turn in the #1 screw until the action fires. Back screw out approximately 3/4 of a turn.
3. Recock action, turn screw #2, center screw, out until it contacts the lower tab. While applying pull on the trigger shoe, turn screw in until action fires. Turn screw inward another 1/4 turn.

recock and check your pull force.

hopefully this helps set it right for you....

I had the same issue with two different Jewell triggers on my 700. You will have some creep, or take up, with the trigger set at 2 lbs (assuming a safe sear engagement). In order to have 2+ pounds of pull, the trigger needs to push against a spring, and compress it, thus the trigger will have some travel. If you reduce the sear engagement, you can get all the creep out, but when I did this, a hard bolt close would allow the firing pin to trip. I talked with Brian Jewell about this, and he said a little movement is normal with the heavier springs installed and the weight at 2+ pounds.

I sent one trigger back to Jewell to look at, and they polished up the sear to remove a little roughness I could feel. They did this free of charge, and were very prompt about sending it back.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.