My Trip To Defensive Edge Long Range Shooting School

I too use shooter. Last night I had to restore factory defaults on my phone and lost all my load info. I wish I had all that data written down. It would have made restoring it easier. I didn't use either SD or Coriolis in Id and did very well and have since so I will continue the way I've been doing it.

Great post, Jeff! Thanks for taking the time to record it for us. Makes me want to head for Idaho also. I'm not near as far along on the "curve" as you are. I'm sure it would be a tremendous learning experience for me. Thanks again.

This was a great class and a great group of guys.

Broz, I drilled the 2578 yard rock last class.:D

Sweet!!! Nice job Shawn that is awesome. I hope to shoot with you agin someday.

Jeff gun)-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Broz,

What were all the guys using for range finders? And how did they do?

Steve

I believe there was a Swaro, a Leica 1600 and a Nikon ( best of memory and I hope this is right) then Shawn and I had Vectronix PLRF10's. In this steep terrain all did well to 1000 or 1200 but when we stepped out to 1400 ~ 2500 The PLRF10 were the ticket. I will add that at the closer distances all were in agreeance to with in a few yards ( 2 or 3) On targets even as far as 2000 plus the plrf10's were agreeing to the yard.

Jeff

I believe there was a Swaro, a Leica 1600 and a Nikon ( best of memory and I hope this is right) then Shawn and I had Vectronix PLRF10's. In this steep terrain all did well to 1000 or 1200 but when we stepped out to 1400 ~ 2500 The PLRF10 were the ticket. I will add that at the closer distances all were in agreeance to with in a few yards ( 2 or 3) On targets even as far as 2000 plus the plrf10's were agreeing to the yard.

Jeff

Just what I needed to hear:rolleyes:.......after I had settled on purchase of a 1600...:rolleyes: Still haven't pulled the trigger on the purchase.......Kinda wishin' I'da bought a 375 Ruger than a 375 AM:rolleyes: Ah.....it's just $.....gun)

Roy, If you are going 1500 and beyond get the PLRF10. That rock Shawn shot at 2578 yards. That shot had to be ranged with nothing less. Wow, what a shot!!! and with whitnesses. The news is traveling and I even heard a rumor of video.... Cool !!!:cool:

Jeff gun)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got back last weekend after 4 days of wonderful food and even better instruction. More about the trip later but here's a couple of pictures. The first is my version of Broz's 2nd shot in his first post.

4279-2.jpg

My second picture is of 3 students (me in the middle) showing off their target at about 850 yards. Each student shot once with their own rifle. There was some side wind, occasional updraft and there was mirage.

The 3 shots went into a group that was less than 3 inches at 850 yards. The 3 satisfied smiles were much larger than the target. :)

4416.jpg

Last edited:
Nice shootin Len, both with the rifle and camera. I never can capture the full beauty with my camera. I guess I need to take a class on photography.:)

Thanks for sharing

Jeff

Great post! I too have taken their basic class and now need to find some time to take the advanced class.

The problem with this class is, you take it and you are done. I would love to do it again.

Maybe we can talk Shawn into a 3rd level class. Or, a class reunion every so often for the alumni. :D

Jeff

We are working up an outline for an extreme range class for 200 or 300 class grads. It will focus on 1000 yard and beyond shooting. Other than 100 yard sight in confirmation we won't even shoot in the 3 digit ranges.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.