My Trip To Defensive Edge Long Range Shooting School

Broz,

It was great having you and the other guys up for the class, a great group. The 2300+ testing was pretty cool as well. Yes, I am in a cast. It is green seems they do not have Mossy Oak Breakup in stock. Leaving in a few hours to meet Len and the other guys for the years last class.

What does a class like that cost? I'm very interested.

And do you think a Sendero 7mmSTW shooting 160gr AccuBonds would work good? Don't have a good long range scope on ot yet. But been thinking about a 8-32x56 Nightforce NXS with the MLR reticle. Do you think I would need a higher magnification scope than that?

Check with Shawn or on the Defensive Edge web site for 2012 pricing, Remember I signed up in 2010.

I think the 160's would be fine, but surely not as capabile as a 300 gr .338. One of the guys in this class was shooting a 284 with 162 A-Max's and he was sending them way out there. So the answer is yes, as long as the rifle will hold 1 moa groups. For a scope a 5.5x22 would be my choice. Go with .25 moa turrets. Also I would not go with an MLR ret. as it is in mils. I would go with a NP-R1, it is in moa and is useful to measure targets and correct for the next shot.

Jeff

Nice write up. Can Broz or Shawn give us some more details on the shooting "chair".

Scott

You mean the shooting bench? That was built by Bob and works great. It will adjust up to angles by screwing the front leg down and back legs up. Also the seat swings left or righ for both left and right shooters. 90% of the shooting we did was prone, but from camp to get over the close trees this benchwas the ticket. Very stable, even to 2300 plus yards.

Jeff

Funny thing about timing. Broz, thanks for the heads up. I'll be meeting Shawn in the morning to start this same class.

You are in for a treat Len!! I hope you do a write up as well. I would love to hear what you think and to hear if your shooting skills advanced as I feel mine did in only 4 days.

Jeff

Is Shawn in a cast, what did you guys do to him? Is that turquoise, couldnt get a camo one?

Ha ha, yes be has a bumbed up arm anda pretty serious brake. I offered my expertice in removing casts. I have removed several of my own. But since his was only a week or two old he opted to leave it on a few more days.

Didn't slow him down a bit as he shoots left hand anyway.:)

jeff

Glad you guys enjoyed the post.

I encourage anyone that is serious about LR hunting to take this class. I had taken game before past 1100 yards on more than one occasion. But I learned from this class and feel my effective range is increased and also my percentage of cold bore hits will be better to greater distances.

Not to mention it was a BLAST!!!! Thinking of Len and the others driving up this morning as I type this makes me want to jump in the truck and head that way. Hey it's only a 5 hr drive maybe I can catch them..:D

Jeff

Check with Shawn or on the Defensive Edge web site for 2012 pricing, Remember I signed up in 2010.

I think the 160's would be fine, but surely not as capabile as a 300 gr .338. One of the guys in this class was shooting a 284 with 162 A-Max's and he was sending them way out there. So the answer is yes, as long as the rifle will hold 1 moa groups. For a scope a 5.5x22 would be my choice. Go with .25 moa turrets. Also I would not go with an MLR ret. as it is in mils. I would go with a NP-R1, it is in moa and is useful to measure targets and correct for the next shot.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff. I'll check into it.

Great post Broz! I live in the same town as Shawn and was trying to I.D: the Mt:D
It sounds like Shawn is runing a great school with some with some outstanding hands on as well as pretty good chow! I'm with Roy though on the steak and ketchup......Geeeez!......Rich

broz,

Have you changed the way you do anything, since the class? do you still use the same program? still input the same information etc?

I have already taken the class, but like you mentioned, it was so much fun, i would like to do it again!

thanks,

bill

I took the class a few years ago and had a great time. Shawn has added a few "new and improved" items since then. Wall Tent, TV, meals ... sounds like I need to go again. I is well worth the trip.

As far as the cast on his arm goes it just goes to show that he is now too old to drive a 4 wheeler in the mountains!

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.